Chicken and rice simmered with lemons and herbs is an easy one pot recipe to impress your company with! With not so many elaborate ingredients you will find yourself making this dish quite often.
As my house filled with the warming aroma of this chicken simmering on the stove, I knew it was going to be a winner.
A couple of words about simmering. First, you begin by bringing the chicken broth to a boil and then reduce the heat until only the occasional bubble pops every few seconds. On my stove it’s between the lowest possible setting and the next one up.
Simmering is very similar to boiling since food is being cooked through heating liquids rather than in an oven or a hot pan. Yet, because simmering cooks the rice so gently, it allows it to maintain its structure in ways that are impossible with boiling and allows the various tastes to mingle so well together that the final product tastes simply amazing!
You do need to keep a close eye on your pan at the beginning to ensure that you’ve reached the right balance. Then you will know that it’s safe to leave it on the stove for the remaining time while you enjoy some other task. I, for one, just relaxed in a chair and read a couple of pages in a book!
And by the way, my family was fighting over who was going to get the leftovers the next day.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt (for rice and broth)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried shallots or 1 chopped fresh shallot
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Set aside. Heat the skillet on medium high heat and add olive oil to the preheated skillet. Allow the oil to warm up for a bit. Add chicken to the skillet and brown it for 5 minutes on medium high heat. Flip them to cook the other side for approximately 5 minutes as well. Remove chicken and add lemons to the pan. Sear them only a little, until the juices are released. Remove lemons from the pan until ready to be used (see step 4).
- To the same skillet, add chopped onions and cook until slightly browned.
- Add chicken broth, uncooked white rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place chicken on top, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 25 minutes until liquid is dissolved. Make sure to check the chicken by cutting it to check if it’s still pink. Chicken should be cooked through at the very end of simmering process. If using brown rice, add additional time to cook rice through.
- Turn off the heat. Stir the rice really well and garnish with lemons. Let it sit for about 5 minutes with a lid closed.