This yummy broccoli mushroom and rice casserole is fabulous with a Thanksgiving turkey or a Christmas ham! Loaded with cheese and garlic. Bright and vibrant with lots of shiitake mushrooms.
And very easy to make – just mix rice, mushrooms and broccoli into the luxuriously creamy sauce – it’s so delicious!
I also like how this dish looks – gourmet style! Your Thanksgiving party will be impressed!
Did I mention that the sauce is just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G? It’s cheesy, but not too heavy or greasy. Make sure to use sharp Cheddar cheese for a nice full flavor! I guarantee that if you have guests coming this Thanksgiving, they will enjoy this dish and ask you for a recipe!
This is such a comfort food recipe and best of all, it’s made completely from scratch with fresh ingredients! Definitely a crowd pleaser.
A word of caution about rice. The recipe calls for 3 cups of cooked rice, which is actually 1 cup of uncooked rice. Make sure to measure exactly 1 cup of rice and use a 1:2 ratio of one cup of rice to two cups of water + ½ teaspoon of salt.
Want to make it in advance? Why not? You can definitely freeze this dish – so feel free to make it in advance of the holidays!
Very easy to make and so delicious!
And tasty leftovers too.
- 3 cups cooked white rice (which equals 1 cup of uncooked rice)
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 10 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped in squares
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken stock, unsalted
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded (more, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (rice flour, if gluten free)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F and start heating the water in a medium saucepan for the broccoli.
- Preheat large skillet at medium high heat. Add olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook on medium high for 5 minutes, until the juices are released. Stir well and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Remove them from the skillet and set aside. Add chopped onions to the same skillet and cook them for 10 minutes until slightly browned, add garlic and cook for additional 2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the broccoli to the medium saucepan from Step 1 and simmer over medium-high heat and for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside.
- To make the sauce, add heavy cream, chicken stock, ½ cup cheese, salt, garlic powder and black pepper to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a simmering point and add flour, allowing the sauce to thicken a bit, just about 2 minutes.
- Add rice, mushrooms, broccoli to the skillet with the sauce and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture from the skillet onto a baking casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese on top. Bake at 425F for 20 minutes.
Adapted from Sunny Anderson's Cheesy Mushroom and Broccoli Casserole (Food Network)