This appetizing chicken burger is packed with flavor from spicy mayo, bacon and cheese! I can eat one of those every day of the week. It’s made out of fresh ground chicken and is so unbelievably juicy!
And don’t be deceived by its sinful burger look – it’s packed with lean protein all due to that fresh chicken we’re using here. It’s one of those burgers that is actually good for you!
It was so yummy, I gobbled it up pretty fast.
I like to have onions on all my burgers, whether those onions are fresh or cooked. This one has lots of caramelized onions, which is an easy way to bring out a flavor out of any meat. If you’re not sure how to caramelize onions, here’s a great description of how to do it. But don’t pack too many onions into your pan, otherwise instead of caramelizing they will steam and produce water. And make sure to deglaze with water or balsamic vinegar at the end, in order for the onions to absorb all the flavor from the bottom of the pan.
And why don’t they make it mandatory to add bacon to all burgers out there? Bacon makes this burger taste so much better! I cooked it in the oven for 10 minutes at 400F on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper and the texture of the bacon turned out to be just perfect!
Tomatoes on a burger, anyone? You can slice them as thick or as thin as you like, when combined with the spicy mayo, they will taste heavenly.
Spicy mayo is probably the best part of this chicken burger. You can buy a premade kind or, make it yourself, by mixing mayonnaise, any hot chili or sriracha sauce. Or, why not just use plain ketchup? In my opinion, ketchup and mayo go very well together on any burger.
Making this burger is super easy and once the work is done, it looks gorgeous! In fact, when I was photographing it, I kept thinking how much this burger reminds me of a gorgeous mushroom! Doesn’t it look like a mushroom on this picture:
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning (rosemary, thyme and oregano)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce (can also use any hot chili sauce or plain ketchup)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 bacon strips, cooked
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced and caramelized
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 pieces of lettuce
- Hamburger buns (I used Brioche buns)
- Sprinkle the ground chicken evenly with salt and spices in a large bowl. Gently form the chicken into 4 balls, then lightly press into 4-inch-wide, ½-inch thick patties (or 1-inch for thicker patties). Make a 2-inch-wide indentation in the center of each with your thumb to prevent the burgers from bulging when being cooked. Set aside.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add onions to the skillet. Start sautéing the onions on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften and brown, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high, add a splash of water to the pan and continue cooking the onions for 5 more minutes. Remove onions from the skillet.
- Reheat the skillet on medium hot, adding more oil if necessary. Add burgers and cook until browned on each side, 5 minutes per side. More, if making thicker patties. Turn off the heat, add cheese on top of the hot patties and set aside.
- Assemble the burger: bottom bun, layer of spicy mayo, lettuce, tomato, patty with cheese, more spicy mayo, if desired. And finally, add the bacon, completing the assembly with the top bun.