Fill your holiday platter with these elegant and tasty little treats – with none of the stress of a pie! The pastry is made of butter, cream cheese and flour; the filling is pure heaven, made of beaten egg, brown sugar, dried cranberries and fresh pecans. Made in a regular muffin pan, your holiday dessert has never been easier!
These miniature cookie tarts with golden brown crusts have a crunchy sweet and tart filling: combination of cranberries, pecans and brown sugar.
And if you never tried a tassie – you’re missing a wonderful treat!
As you can see, these little cups are quite fancy, but they are simply fruit and nut filled tassies – made in ordinary muffin cups! So simple and elegant!
Making the pastry is simple – just mix butter, cream cheese, sugar and flour. To make the filling, all you have to do is beat an egg with sugar and then mix in cranberries and pecans.
To assemble the tassies – just fill the pastry with spoonfuls of this cranberry-pecan mixture and bake it for 30 minutes! They are so easy to make, taste amazing and are full of color.Their special occasion look will dress up your holiday table – whether it’s Christmas or a New Year’s Eve party. And they can be made a couple of days ahead! They store beautifully at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. You can even freeze them up to 3 months.
What a great balance of sweet and tart with the cranberries, brown sugar and pecans. Being not overly sweet – they make a perfect complement to the standard sweet cookies on a holiday table!
To make it gluten free: replace regular flour with Cup4Cup gluten free flour.
To make it dairy free: remove cream cheese and replace butter with dairy free butter (such as Earth Balance) and increase the quantity of dairy free butter to 3/4 cup. The pastry will be more pie like.
To make it nut free: remove pecans and replace with equal quantity of cranberries or different dried fruit.
Adopted from "Better Home and Gardens Easy Everyday Cooking" cookbook.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To make pastry, beat the butter, sugar and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until combined. Stir in the flour. Can be made a day ahead.
- Divide the pastry into 8 balls. Place each ball in ungreased muffin cups. Press pastry batter evenly against the bottom and up the side of each cup.
- To make filling, beat together the egg, vanilla and brown sugar until combined. Stir in cranberries and pecans. Spoon the filling into the pastry-lined muffin cups.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Cool in muffin cups. Remove tassies by running a knife around the edges