Spring means fresh veggies from the garden and it made perfect sense to post something that includes fresh lettuce with some protein in it. Let me introduce to you easy to make and low on sodium lettuce wraps made with ground chicken! This is a fast and attractive dish that can be made fresh or ahead for the work week without any loss in taste or visual appeal. I used leftovers of this dish multiple times and as long as the lettuce is bright and fresh – no one would ever guess that you are serving last night’s dinner.
The entire dish is cooked in the large skillet before being spooned onto lettuce leaves:
I used Tamari gluten free soy sauce which is not only free of wheat, but is specifically a Japanese form of soy sauce, traditionally made as a byproduct of miso paste. Tamari has a darker color and richer flavor than the common Chinese soy sauce you may be more familiar with. It also tastes more balanced and less salty.
I opted to include extra garlic in place of fish oil or additional soy sauce in order to keep the dish lower on sodium but still full of flavor. The recipe includes peanuts, but these can be omitted if there are any dietary restrictions – the main flavor of the dish is in the combination of the rich flavor of Tamari soy sauce, garlic and red pepper flakes.
You can pretty much toss everything in one pan to make it ready (see the sequence of ingredients in the instructions).
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch (4 or 6 stalks) green onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (red, chopped in small cubes)
- 6 gloves garlic
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- Romaine hearts lettuce
- Mix ingredients listed in the Sauce section together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and ground chicken to a large skillet and saute for about 10 minutes, breaking up the chicken with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in garlic, onion, carrots and pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the sauce and peanuts to the chicken mixture and mix well. Allow the mixture to heat all the way through on low heat to absorb all the flavors for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon several tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of each lettuce leaf.