Homemade Cabbage and Beef Soup is the ultimate comfort food! Easy to make and packed with flavor, it’s filled with chunks of fall apart beef, carrots, tomatoes, and generous amount of spices and herbs. This hearty soup takes 35 minutes to cook and is perfect for busy weeknights!
Summer is officially over and we can start cooking comfortably inside! And cold weather demands not only hearty stews, such as this Instant Pot Beef Stew but also cabbage soups. I just love how this beef and cabbage soup fits into my healthy eating routine. So perfect for cold weather!
At first I couldn’t believe that ordinary cabbage can give such a great flavor to beef soup and how easy and fun it was to make it. But because I grew up on homemade soups, I wanted to make one that the whole family would love. As a matter of fact, the only cabbage soup I used to eat was borscht and I ate gallons of it throughout my childhood. Then I grew up, moved out of the house and cabbage soup eating stopped. Well, now I have a worthy rival to my favorite borscht.
Why this cabbage soup is the best
- You pretty much dump everything in the pot and let it cook! Couldn’t be easier!
- Cabbage is packed with nutrients. It will keep your heart, digestion and blood pressure healthy.
- This homemade cabbage soup is relatively low carb, especially if you exclude carrots.
- The fall apart beef is super tasty and tender. Next time I think I will double up on meat as it went away pretty fast.
I used enameled dutch oven to make this beef and cabbage soup. It’s very sturdy, fits a lot of food, and extremely easy to clean! I found that there are so many of them on the market, it can be hard to know which one is the right one. That’s why I like this review of dutch ovens, because it explains the difference in cooking with enameled dutch ovens and cast iron ones.
What kind of beef works best?
I used rib eye steak here because it’s a quick soup, requiring only about 35 minutes of cooking.
What kind of tomatoes to use?
Either crushed or diced tomatoes will work fine.
Hungry for more comfort food recipes?
If you are looking for delicious hearty recipes such as soups, stews or chillies, you might enjoy these easy to make dishes:
Best Cabbage and Beef Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. rib eye steak cut into 1-inch pieces (trimmed of visible fat)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled, diced
- 1 small green cabbage chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 14 oz diced tomatoes (1 can)
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley plus more to serve
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and freshly-cracked black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot (I used dutch oven) over medium-heat, add the beef and sear one all sides until browned, about 6 minutes (3 on each side). Add the onions and cook until transparent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots to the pan, mixing through the flavours in the pot. Cook while mixing occasionally for about 4-5 minutes, then add the cabbage and cook for a further 5 minutes until beginning to soften; add in the garlic, and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute), mixing all ingredients through.
- Add the stock, diced tomatoes, parsley, dried thyme and basil, onion and garlic powders. Mix well and bring to a simmering point; reduce heat to medium-low and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the cabbage and carrots are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with chopped fresh parsley.