Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta with Sausage is easy to make weeknight one pot pasta dish! With only 30 minutes of total work, this shrimp pasta dinner recipe is simple, fast and delicious!
Quick and easy dinner is always something I have on my mind. I happen to love shrimp and sausage combination because it’s so flavorful and delicious. Besides, there’s nothing better than having a restaurant quality pasta dish on the table for my family and friends! This creamy pasta dish disappeared quickly from our dinner table!
CREAMY SHRIMP PASTA:
If there is one thing I can always count on my family to eat it is my Cajun food. We love this traditional Southern shrimp pasta recipe in our house! I always make it with large shrimp and smoked sausage. By the way, I like to use Andouille sausage. We recently had some company over for dinner and this creamy sausage pasta became a huge hit! It is a family favorite Southern shrimp pasta recipe! This easy sausage pasta recipe is so vibrant with flavor! And I like that this delicious, creamy shrimp pasta is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Because the Cajun sauce is homemade, it is so much better than anything in a jar! And so incredibly simple! The cooking time for this creamy shrimp pasta recipe is only 30 minutes as it all comes together pretty quickly. And if you enjoy eating Cajun as much as we do, you might also like this Cajun themed Instant Pot Chicken and Rice. Yes, I made it Cajun as well!
HOW TO MAKE CAJUN SHRIMP SAUSAGE PASTA:
- You will start by adding olive oil in a large skillet.
- Then you will cook your seasoned shrimp until browned. Remove it from the pan.
- Next you will add sliced sausage to the same pan and brown it. Remove it from the pan as well.
- Then, you will cook your diced onions, bell peppers, and garlic until softened. You will only need about 5 minutes.
- While they are cooking, you will start preparing your pasta by boiling some water.
- Now, back to the sauce. The next step is to pour in crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and heavy cream into the pan. Bring to a simmering point.
- While the sauce is simmering, add your Parmesan cheese. You finished the sauce work!
- Now let’s complete the assembly. Once you cook the pasta, add it to the pan with Cajun sauce.
- At this point you will also add your shrimp and sausage back to the pan and reheat them. If you like your sauce a bit thicker, you may want to add extra Parmesan. But keep in mind that the sauce will thicken as it sits.
How do you make Cajun Pasta with shrimp?
I cooked shrimp just pink enough. This is what my shrimp looked like. Perfect for creamy shrimp pasta!Then I emptied the skillet and added my sausage. And just like the shrimp I cooked the sausage just till brown enough. It will be delicious in creamy sausage pasta!Finally, I made the creamy Cajun sauce. You can use either Cajun or Creole seasonings to make it. I like to use this Louisiana Cajun Seasoning or this Original Creole Seasoning. This sauce is delicious!!! While I was making it, I already knew it was going to be a hit. All you need to do now is combine all three. And then add cooked pasta. Sausage and shrimp pasta is done!This Cajun shrimp pasta is so decadent and yet easy! And the flavor is out of the world. It is restaurant quality pasta dish that you can make right at home.
If you like spicy food and more, you can always follow us on FACEBOOK where we share the tastiest recipe videos. And if you enjoy Cajun and pasta, I do have a few other Cajun pasta recipes on this website. For example, my family loves our Louisiana Chicken Pasta and Cajun Chicken Pasta.
Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta with Sausage
- 1 lb. large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning (or Creole seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 6 oz andouille sausage or smoked sausage (thinly sliced)
- 10 ounces fettuccine pasta
- ½ yellow onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (or Creole seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2-3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth sodium free
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp parsley (chopped)
- Toss shrimp with salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning and Oregano, and coat well. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and drizzle bottom of pan with olive oil.
- Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes. Flip shrimp over and cook another minute or two. Then remove to a plate and set aside. Drizzle pan with a little more olive oil, add sausage and brown until nicely caramelized, about 4 - 5 minutes. Remove to plate, set aside.
- Add pasta to salted boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Lower heat to medium and add a bit more olive oil to the pan, add the onion, red bell pepper, Cajun seasoning, brown sugar, and a generous pinch of salt. Sauté until onion and pepper have softened a bit, scraping up any browned bits that you can. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan, simmer a couple minutes.
- Once simmering, add Parmesan and stir into sauce. When Parmesan is blended in, add cooked pasta and sausage and stir to combine and heat through, 2 - 3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste and then lastly, add shrimp.
- Serve with chopped parsley.