Baked Chicken Thighs with Garlic Mustard Crust are so easy to make! Tender, melt in your mouth kind that is full of flavor! You will taste wine, garlic, mustard, and much more! Perfectly easy for midweek dinners!
Chicken thighs are our family’s favorite. To achieve the golden brown color on the chicken skin, you will need skin-on bone-in chicken thighs. These are the juiciest parts of the chicken and work well in many chicken recipes, including Instant Pot Chicken and my favorite Spatchcock Chicken with Mustard Crust. These flavorful thighs are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside!
How to make the best baked chicken thighs
These baked thighs will change how you make your chicken!
- Use bone-in skin-on chicken thighs. Once you picked out your chicken thighs, make sure you have a large skillet or rimmed baking sheet. I used this inexpensive 12 inch carbon steel skillet. Lodge makes carbon steel pans now. Who would’ve known?
- Mustard mixture. Next, you will prepare mustard garlic mixture. This most flavorful mixture consists of garlic, Dijon mustard, soy sauce and olive oil. I also added hot pepper sauce, wine and Herbs de Provence.
- Use large bowl. You will need a large bowl where that mixture will go and then chicken thighs.
- Whisk the mustard mixture ingredients. Once you whisked all the ingredients of the chicken thigh mixture, it’s time to put it into use.
- Use the bowl to coat the chicken. Now place chicken thighs into the bowl with the mixture and rub them all over.
- Move the mustard covered chicken thighs to a preheated skillet skin side up. You will preheat chicken thighs for about 5 minutes.
- Oven time. How long should you bake chicken thighs? I usually bake mine at 400 F. for 35 to 45 minutes. You will see when the crust forms at about 35 minute mark.
Important tip on baking chicken thighs
To make the very best chicken thighs recipe, it is important to remember that baking temperature matters! If you want them to be crispy on the outside and super moist on the inside, bake them at 400 F!
Once the chicken is done baking, you will see a nice golden brown color on your chicken thighs. So much flavor under that skin! Enjoy the best chicken thighs with a side of Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes!
More chicken thigh recipes
Oven Baked Thighs with Garlic Mustard Crust
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ lb. chicken thighs, (skin on, bone in)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- For the garlic mustard mixture: Mix all the ingredients (except the chicken) in a large bowl.
- Place chicken thighs into the bowl with the mustard mixture and rub the mixture all over them.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large skillet, skin side up.
- Now put the skillet in the oven and cook the chicken for 35 to 45 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 165 and juices run clear.
- The chicken thighs should be well browned and dark on top.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.