Baked Chicken Thighs with Garlic Mustard Crust are so easy to make! These tender, melt in your mouth chicken thighs are full of flavor! You will taste wine, garlic, mustard, and much more! Perfectly easy for midweek dinners!Since I have already shared with you my Instant Pot Chicken and my family’s favorite Spatchcock Chicken with Mustard Crust, it was time to give you our very best baked chicken thighs recipe as well! These flavorful thighs are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside!
How to make the best baked chicken thighs
- These baked thighs will change how you make your chicken!
- First of all, you will need skin-on bone-in chicken thighs. These are the juiciest parts of the chicken!
- Once you picked out your chicken thighs, make sure you have a large skillet or rimmed baking sheet. I used this inexpensive 12 inch carbon steel skillet. Lodge makes carbon steel pans now. Who would’ve known?
- Next, you will prepare mustard garlic mixture. This most flavorful mixture consists of garlic, Dijon mustard, soy sauce and olive oil. I also added hot pepper sauce, wine and Herbs de Provence.
- You will need a large bowl where that mixture will go and then chicken thighs.
- Once you whisked all the ingredients of the chicken thigh mixture, it’s time to put it into use.
- Now place chicken thighs into the bowl with the mixture and rub them all over.
- Move them to a preheated skillet skin side up. You will preheat chicken thighs for about 5 minutes.
- Lastly, you will move them to the oven.
- How long should you bake chicken thighs? I usually bake mine at 400 F. for 35 to 45 minutes. You will see when the crust forms at about 35 minute mark.
To make the very best chicken thighs recipe, it is important to remember that baking temperature matters! If you want them to be crispy on the outside and super moist on the inside, bake them at 400 F! In the picture below you can see the thighs before they go into the oven.Once they are done baking, you will see this nice color on your chicken thighs. So much flavor under that skin!Enjoy the best chicken thighs with a side of Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes!
Oven Baked Thighs with Garlic Mustard Crust
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken thighs (skin on, bone in)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- For the garlic mustard mixture: Mix all the ingredients (except the chicken) in a large bowl.
- Place chicken thighs into the bowl with the mustard mixture and rub the mixture all over them.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large skillet, skin side up.
- Cook over high heat on the stove top for about 5 minutes (this is done in order to heat up the chicken, not to brown the skin).
- Next place the skillet in the oven and cook the chicken for 35 to 45 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 165 and juices run clear.
- The chicken thighs should be well browned and dark on top.