Creamy Tomato Chicken Soup with Bacon and Spinach is made with browned chicken and fresh vegetables. It’s full of protein, very filling and yet low on carbs. It’s also hearty enough to serve as a main course.
Soups should be delicious and satisfying and that’s exactly how this chicken and bacon soup turned out to be.
Bacon and chicken are partners in crime in this amazing combinations of tomatoes, spinach, garlic, cream, chicken broth and Parmesan cheese!
Parmesan cheese serves as a thickener here, making this soup both gluten free and low carb!
Why make creamy chicken and bacon soup?
- Did you know that warm soup can actually increase your body temperature which assist digestion?When eating your body temperature rises naturally to help digestion, so having this heartwarming soup will just give your body another boost of warmth and energy!
- You will also feel well hydrated and full longer after eating this delicious creamy soup.
- This easy soup recipe is loaded with spinach, tomatoes and garlic! What a perfect way to get those healthy veggies into your diet. And because they are cooked in the same liquid, all the minerals and vitamins from the veggies are also in the soup.
A few tips about making creamy chicken and bacon soup
- Brown chicken first as opposed to throwing it and boiling it in the liquid. The chicken will be more flavorful and palatable when cooked this way.
- If you have leftover barbecue or rotisserie chicken – use it instead!
- I baked the bacon in the oven to avoid bacon fat in the soup.
- Use fresh tomatoes and fresh spinach
3 Easy Steps to make gluten free chicken and bacon soup
1. Bake the bacon in the oven for 15 minutes at 400 F until crispy.
2. Brown the chicken in the skillet while the bacon is cooking in the oven. What I did is brown whole chicken breasts and then cut them up into thick strips.
3. Add tomatoes and spinach.
4. Finally liquids (chicken broth and heavy cream) are added and the soup is done!
And finally thicken the chicken soup with Parmesan cheese. I decided against flour in favor of cheese to make this soup both low carb and gluten free.
Below are more heartwarming chicken meals that you can count on to keep you happy and satisfied:
Creamy Chicken Soup with Bacon and Spinach
- 6 bacon strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken, (boneless and skinless)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 5 tomatoes, (chopped in cubes)
- 10 oz. spinach, (fresh)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning, more, if desired
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, (shredded)
- BACON: Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Arrange bacon strips and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your bacon. Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel-lined platter that will absorb extra grease. Chop into 1 inch slices.
- CHICKEN: Season whole chicken breasts with salt, pepper, paprika, red pepper flakes and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large deep skillet. Add seasoned chicken breasts and cook on each side on medium high heat for a total of 3-4 minutes until it's nicely browned.
- Remove browned chicken from the pan, slice it in thick strips and return it back to the skillet.
- Add sliced garlic in the last minute of cooking chicken, cook for 1-2 minutes until browned and fragrant.
- TOMATOES and SPINACH: Add chopped tomatoes to the chicken and cook for 3 minutes on medium until tomatoes release their juices. Add fresh spinach and cook until it wilts. Add bacon pieces.
- SOUP: Stir in chicken broth, Italian seasoning and heavy cream; and bring the mixture to boil. Reduce to simmer and slowly add grated Parmesan cheese - until the cheese melts and makes the soup slightly thicker. Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.