Creamy Garlic Potatoes is a quick stovetop recipe and the perfect side dish to serve with many of your favorite entrees. Delicious potatoes in a creamy sauce is super simple potato recipe to throw together during the busy week!
What Kind of Potatoes to Choose
To make creamy potatoes, I always use white potatoes. They are a concentrated source of vitamin C and potassium, and are small in size which is perfect for us. I also like them because they have smooth skin which I leave on. Alternatively you can use baby potatoes, Irish Potatoes or red skin potatoes.
Basically, any potatoes with smooth and thin skin will be great in this Creamy Potatoes recipe!
How to Prepare Creamy Potatoes
- First, add water to the medium saucepan and start heating it up. Add ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
- Next, rinse the potatoes in the sink, but I do not peel them. I like to have potato skins on. Potato skins are a rich source of vitamin C.
- Now I cut potatoes in half, and then quarter them.
- Add these bite size pieces into your boiling water.
- You are well on your way to making these delicious creamy potatoes!
Why Make Creamy Garlic Potatoes
- First of all, Creamy Potatoes are super easy to prepare and go with so many main dishes!
- Potatoes also provide us with vitamin C, potassium and resistant starch (good for gut health).
- Easy to make ahead and store in the refrigerator
- Finally, the creamy garlic potatoes use only a few ingredients that you most likely already have in the fridge.
Heavy Cream Substitutions
I love using heavy cream stirred in Creamy Potatoes at the end because it helps to create a creamy texture for the potatoes while they are still hot. What if you don’t have heavy cream on hand? Or, prefer something else? Below is the list of alternatives that will work!
- I successfully used half-and-half to make these creamy potatoes.
- Another great option is to use sour cream. Because the creaminess is what makes this side dish so amazing, sour cream is a great substitution!
- If you are traveling light, you can substitute heavy cream with low fat sour cream.
- I also recommend using sour cream mixed with milk.
Creamy Garlic Potatoes
- 1 saucepan to boil water
- 1 lb. white potatoes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Start boiling water in the medium saucepan and add sea salt to the water.
- Do not peel the potatoes (unless you want to). Cut your potatoes into quarters. If your potatoes are round, you will cut twice – lengthwise to split the potato, and then one more time to quarter it.
- Add potato pieces to the boiling water and boil until you can pierce them with a fork. It should take 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop your garlic.
- Once potatoes are boiled, remove them from the saucepan. Add butter to the empty saucepan, allow it to melt and then add garlic. Cook for 3 minutes until garlic is golden and flavorful.
- Next add cream and reduce the heat, cook garlic with cream for about 5 minutes.
- Add drained potatoes to this cream sauce. Use salt and pepper – just a bit, to taste.
- Add chopped parsley and mix well. Done!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
You might also like
Irish Mashed Potatoes with Bacon Colcannon
Goulash with Smoked Sausage and Potatoes
12/02/2023 OMG these are sooooooooooo tasty made them for tea with some pork loin and absolutely loved them will definitely be making them again thank u for sharing your recipe.
Pairs up well with the pork loin, Bev!
Oh Olya Yes it definitely does I just seasoned the pork with sea salt cracked black pepper some cumin and paprika it was lush with your recipe for the creamy potatoes 😋😋
I love reading your lush comments, Bev!