Dynamite shrimp appetizer is a fun and easy shrimp recipe! With the quick homemade dynamite shrimp sauce that is flavorful and spicy!
What is Dynamite Shrimp Appetizer?
Dynamite spicy shrimp appetizer is a delicious Japanese food invention. Since it appeared on PF Chang’s menu, it became an instant favorite. And dynamite shrimp all about the spice. If you love Japanese food, you will surely recognize the sharp flavors. Yet you can always adjust the heat a bit with the amount of Sriracha sauce you will add. Actually I had only added a couple of teaspoons of Sriracha to the sauce. But I do recommend that you add what you like, for that kick and the amazing color just like how you get it from PF Chang’s. By the way, have you tried my spicy Cajun Shrimp Pasta?
If you prefer a milder appetizer, you can easily cut the cilli sauce in half.
How do you make Dynamite Shrimp Appetizer
- As I mentioned before, dynamite shrimp is all about texture and spice.
- First, you batter the shrimp in corn flour. This flour will give it a nice yellow tone. And a perfect crisp as well as texture.
- Then, fry it until golden. And you don’t even have to use wok! I used this inexpensive 12 inch carbon steel skillet. Lodge makes carbon steel pans now. Who would’ve known? And as a bonus, it works like a wok!
- By the way, you should use a high smoking point vegetable oil. I used avocado oil and I didn’t add much. About 3 tablespoons.
- Lastly, you will make dynamite shrimp sauce. This spicy sauce is what makes the dynamite!
- Simply mix mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce, Sriracha and honey. And this combination makes the perfection!
How to defrost shrimp
- First things first, let it submerge for 10 minutes in cold tap water in the colander
- After 10 minutes, you will lift the colander and take all the shrimp out of the water.
- Next, you should change the water in the bowl and re-submerge the shrimp.
- You will leave it in cold water for another 10 to 20 minutes.
- By now the shrimp should be completely defrosted and still cold.
- Lastly, drain and pat them dry before cooking
How to fry shrimp in pictures
First, you will prepare the batter from corn flour and then coat the shrimp in it.Then you will fry the shrimp in a large skillet. You can use cast iron skillet if you don’t have a wok. For example, I used a carbon steel skillet.The next step would be to prepare the dynamite shrimp sauce and coat your shrimp in it. Pretty easy so far!I used a large bowl to coat my shrimp in the sauce. Very easy!Enjoy!
Dynamite Shrimp Appetizer
- ½ Cup Mayo
- ⅓ Cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Sriracha (or any chili sauce)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 Egg (whisked)
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- ⅔ Cup corn flour
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ lb. Shrimp (Peeled and deveined, medium in size)
- 1 Scallion (for garnish)
- In a bowl, using a whisk mix mayo, sweet chili sauce, sriracha and honey together until well blended.
- Add egg to the large bowl and whisk slightly. Add soy sauce.
- Spread corn flour and salt on a different plate.
- Next drain the shrimps and add to the mixing bowl with the egg. Mix shrimps with an egg well.
- Add shrimps covered in egg one by one to the plate with corn flour, making sure to coat each shrimp with flour.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the shrimps on medium heat, about 1 minute per side. For a total of 2 minutes. Don't overcrowd the pan. I cooked my shrimps in 2 batches. Remove from oil immediately and drain on a paper towel.
- Toss the fried shrimps into the bowl with sauce and mix with a spoon. Serve garnished with spring onions. Transfer the remaining sauce into serving bowl or cocktail glass.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.