Here, in this easy stir fry recipe, I used broccoli, bell pepper, chicken and home made sauce: free of corn starch, MSG and all the other unhealthy “ingredients” you would normally get in your stir fry order from the restaurant. I also made it gluten free by using gluten free Tamari soy sauce.
One of the easiest and healthiest meals you can count on during the busy work week and if desired, you can always substitute veggies used here with the veggies of your choice.
Make sure to prepare all of your ingredients before you begin to cook. Cut chicken and veggies into similarly-sized pieces to promote even cooking. To avoid crowding the pan, cook chicken first, remove from the pan and cook bell peppers next. Broccoli cooks fast and should be added last, unless you like it really well cooked. Then add soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, chili pepper and ginger. Cook for several minutes longer.I combined soy sauce and brown sugar in a bowl ahead of time to allow the sugar to melt in the sauce and then poured right in the pan at the very end. The last step is to sprinkle with red pepper flakes. If you follow the directions, it will be only moderately spicy.
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 large bell peppers red and yellow, thinly sliced
- 3 bunches of broccoli cut up
- 1 Tbsp shredded ginger root or ginger powder
- 3 Tbsp Tamari soy sauce gluten free soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 small red chili pepper thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp water
- Preheat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the large skillet on medium high heat. Slice chicken breasts into 1 inch strips. Add to the hot skillet and cook on medium high heat for 2 minutes on each side (total 4 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Remove from skillet onto a dish.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, sliced peppers to the hot skillet and pour 1 tablespoon of water. Cover with lid and simmer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add ginger root, crushed garlic, chili pepper and broccoli, add one more tablespoon of water and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and brown sugar into the skillet - it should get mixed very easily in the hot pan. Once mixed well, add chicken and stir everything together.
- Turn the heat off and let it sit for 5 minutes.
You might also like