This is a very easy and inexpensive Santa Fe Chicken topped with melty Cheddar. It is packed with protein from chicken and beans as well as fiber from onions and peppers.
It is so deliciously looking! And if you’re on Weight Watchers it’s 11 Freestyle Smart Points.
Easy Santa Fe Chicken skillet takes only 30 minutes to make, from beginning to end.
Start by cutting up all the veggies into small cubes: red onions and bell peppers. Drain the black beans.
To prepare the vegetable mixture, saute onions first, followed by peppers, then add canned beans to the mixture just to heat them up. This step can be done before or after chicken is cooked.
Add cooked chicken breasts to the skillet (see detailed instructions on how exactly to cook it in the recipe box below) and sprinkle cheese on top:
Once the cheese is melty, this incredible dish is ready to be enjoyed. Make sure to spoon the vegetable mixture all over chicken.
If you enjoy eating chicken, you might find these chicken recipes interesting:
Easy Santa Fe Chicken Skillet
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 2 bell peppers (chopped)
- 15 oz. black beans (1 can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- Parsley (for garnish)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink. How many minutes per side depends on the thickness of the chicken breast, generally at least 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add garlic, onion, and red pepper to skillet and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in black beans until warmed through, then transfer mixture to a bowl
- Reduce heat to low and return chicken to skillet. Top with cheddar, cover with lid and let heat until cheese is melted.
- Spoon the mixture all over chicken when ready to serve. Garnish with parsley.