One Skillet Chicken with Green Beans and Mushrooms boasts fresh ingredients only. You will not find any canned cream soup here. Instead, lots of buttery flavor in those string beans! This 30 minute one pan chicken recipe can also be made ahead. Perfect for busy weeknights!
This chicken and green bean thing is buttery goodness you need this week. All you need is about 30 minutes and there you have a delicious dinner. One pan meals make your life so much easier! Besides, you can make this green bean mushroom casserole type meal in the skillet without turning your oven on. What’s even better – you can make it a couple of days ahead and it will store nicely in the fridge!
A protein and a veggie side dish all made in a single skillet is my dream come true. And if you like tender and juicy mushrooms covered in the rich and comforting cheesy garlic sauce, you’ve got this combination right here! Use regular string beans, or French beans.
Why make this one pan chicken recipe
- Do you love flavor? The combination of a few simple ingredients and seasonings, along with minced garlic and butter, produces the most amazing melt in your mouth results.
- How about making it in under 30 minutes? That’s right, only thirty minutes. This green bean dish comes together so quickly, you won’t have time for a nap.
- Fewer dishes to wash! You just can’t go wrong with only having to clean up one single pan at the end of the meal. Especially if you don’t like to spend as much time on kitchen cleanup as you spend on its preparation. This chicken and green bean dish is the answer.
What kind of green beans to use
- Green beans is a general name that covers many related types of beans. And it is also used to describe the most common type, which are a variety called Blue Lake. Those are the classic green beans. Yes, the ones we all grew up with and that our grandmothers called string beans! They are very long at 5-7 inches in length.
- French beans, also known as Haricot vert are a thinner, shorter variety. They usually measure about 4-inches long and shorter than regular green beans. The big plus is that they cook in about half the time, and are more tender than Blue Lake green beans.
- I prefer to use French beans, but string beans will work in this recipe as well. Just make sure to cook them slightly longer as they are of a tougher variety than French beans.
What kind of chicken to use
This one pan recipe is really simple, but I will provide you with all the tips you need. In your large skillet, add olive oil and melt butter, then add sliced chicken thighs. Brown on the first side, then flip and a keep cooking a little longer. Make sure to use chicken thighs here and NOT CHICKEN BREASTS. Why not use chicken breasts? Because they are so lean, you will get dry results. Chicken thighs, on the other hand, will produce melt in your mouth chicken. That’s what we want here.
Next, you will move all the chicken to the side and let it cook while you cook your beans, garlic and mushrooms in the empty part of the pan. Cook those green beans are soft and your chicken is fork tender!
Now it’s time to add heavy cream. If you worry about this dish being too fatty, you can use half-and-ahlf, or milk, and flour instead of heavy cream. But I you like it to be more creamy and not runny, definitely go for heavy cream!
And that’s it. Your whole dinner, ready to go, with a whole lot of flavor and hardly any work involved.
This green bean dish is perfect for busy nights, when you don’t have a second to spare on that calendar. That’s where this one-skillet chicken recipe comes into play. Let me reiterate. You will only have one dish to clean up afterward. Even the pickiest kids at the table will want second helpings of this easy chicken recipe with green beans and mushrooms!
More One Skillet Chicken Recipes:
More Holiday Recipes:
One Skillet Chicken with Green Beans
- ½ lb. French green beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs thinly sliced
- Salt and lemon pepper (to taste)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 10 oz. mushrooms
- ½ cup chicken broth unsalted
- ½ cup heavy cream (or half-and-half + 1 tablespoon flour for lighter version)
- ⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese more for garnish
- Arrange green beans in a microwave-safe dish with ½ cup (125ml) water. Cook in the microwave for 8-10 minutes, until almost done but still crisp.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and butter to the pan and heat it over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add sliced chicken, season it with salt and lemon pepper right in the pan, and cook for about 4 minutes on each side until chicken slices are slightly browned. Next add garlic, onion powder, precooked beans and mushrooms. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until cooked to your liking.
- Add chicken broth and heavy cream and reduce the sauce for a couple of minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Next add parmesan cheese into the pan. Stir until cheese is incorporated with the sauce. Taste and season with more salt and pepper.
- Serve warm and garnish with extra cheese, if desired.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Easy No Bake Pies and Desserts
and delicious No Bake Black Forrest Cheesecake