Chicken and rice simmered with lemons and herbs is an easy recipe to impress your company with! With not so many elaborate ingredients you will find yourself making this dish quite often.
As my house filled with the warming aroma of this chicken and rice, simmering on the stove, I knew it was going to be a winner.
This chicken and rice dish is a simple combination that can be very versatile. You can add mushrooms, or fresh herbs to your preference.
While preparing this chicken and rice, you will need to precook 1 cup of uncooked rice in 1.5 cups of chicken broth. If the rice is still not fully cooked at this point – it’s ok as it will be simmered with chicken before it’s completely done. This chicken and rice recipe calls for 2.5 cups of cooked rice. 1 cup of uncooked rice is 3 cups of cooked rice. Usually I just cook 1 cup of uncooked rice and then measure out 2.5 cups of cooked rice to go into the skillet when it’s time to add it.
In regards to chicken you will need 4 chicken thighs – bone in skin on. The chicken is browned for 5 minutes on each side for a total of 10 minutes.
And by the way, my family was fighting over who was going to get the leftovers the next day.
For more chicken recipes, check out this recipe that uses chicken thighs and white wine. It’s not done with rice but definitely will be great as chicken and rice combo:
These recipes are chicken and pasta combinations you might be interested in:
Chicken and rice simmered with lemons and herbs is an easy recipe to impress your company with!
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt for rice and broth
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried shallots or 1 chopped fresh shallot
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 2.5 cup cooked white rice (it's less than 1 cup of uncooked rice)
- 2 cups chicken broth divided
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 lemon sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley for garnish
The recipe calls for 2.5 cups of cooked rice - keep in mind cooked, not uncooked. 1 cup of uncooked rice results in 3 cups of cooked. So you will need less than 1 cup of uncooked rice. To cook rice, bring 1 1/2 cups chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in 1 cup rice and salt and return to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, 15 minutes. Remove from heat and cover with lid.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Set aside. Heat the skillet on medium high heat and add olive oil to the preheated skillet. Allow the oil to warm up for a bit. Add chicken to the skillet and brown it for 5 minutes on medium high heat. Flip them to cook the other side for approximately 5 minutes as well. Remove chicken and add lemons to the pan. Sear them only a little, until the juices are released. Remove lemons from the pan until ready to be used (see step 4).
- To the same skillet, add chopped onions and cook until slightly browned. Add 2.5 cups of cooked rice and remaining 0.5 cup chicken broth, stir with onions. Taste the rice and add salt if necessary.
Add chicken and push it inside the rice. Cover and cook on medium heat until chicken is no longer pink. Make sure to check the chicken by cutting. Chicken should be cooked through at the very end of simmering process.
- Turn off the heat. Stir the rice really well and garnish with lemons. Let it sit for about 5 minutes with a lid closed. Garnish with parsley.