Low Sodium Asian Style Lettuce Wraps with Chicken means fresh veggies from the garden onto your plate! We are talking about fresh lettuce, chopped carrots, red bell pepper, scallions with some chicken protein in it. Let me introduce to you easy to make and low on sodium lettuce wraps made with ground chicken!
Asian Style Lettuce Wraps a fast and attractive dish that can be made fresh or ahead for the work week without any loss in taste or visual appeal. I used leftovers of this dish multiple times and as long as the lettuce is bright and fresh – no one would ever guess that you are serving last night’s dinner.
The entire dish is cooked in the large skillet before being spooned onto lettuce leaves.
Are Asian Style Lettuce Wraps Gluten Free?
I used Tamari gluten free soy sauce which is not only free of wheat, but is specifically a Japanese form of soy sauce, traditionally made as a byproduct of miso paste. Tamari has a darker color and richer flavor than the common Chinese soy sauce you may be more familiar with. It also tastes more balanced and less salty. I did not use salt at all in this low sodium Asian style lettuce wraps with chicken recipe, because Tamari in itself is salty enough.
Substitutions and Variations
I opted to include extra garlic in place of fish oil or additional soy sauce in order to keep the dish lower on sodium but still full of flavor. The recipe includes peanuts, but these can be omitted if there are any dietary restrictions – the main flavor of the dish is in the combination of the rich flavor of Tamari soy sauce, ginger powder, brown sugar and garlic.
You can pretty much toss everything in one pan to make it ready (see the sequence of ingredients in the instructions).
More delicious chicken recipes
Low Sodium Asian Style Lettuce Wraps with Chicken
- 3 tablespoon Tamari soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ freshly squeezed lemon
- ½ tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-6 scallions, chopped
- ½ carrot, sliced lengthwise or chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup peanuts
- 4-5 Romaine lettuce hearts leaves
- Mix ingredients listed in the Sauce section together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat large skillet on medium heat. Add olive oil and ground chicken to a large skillet and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, scallions, carrot and bell pepper and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the sauce to the chicken mixture and mix well.
- Spoon several tablespoons of the chicken mixture into the center of each lettuce leaf.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.