This delicious one pan dish has all you’ve ever wanted for breakfast: bacon, eggs, potatoes and cheese! It’s definitely one of my current breakfast favorites. I just love the bacon flavor in potatoes here.
I have never been the kind of person to have cereal or sweet type of breakfast. I need protein with some fats! And if you’re anything like me, my favorite breakfast protein is egg and my favorite breakfast fat is bacon!
First, sauté an onion over medium heat to create a subtle sweet flavor to this dish. If you’re in a hurry to have breakfast , you can certainly omit the onion. However, it adds too much flavor and so easy to cook, that it’s certainly worth the extra 10 minutes. And you may not realize how much it can affect the way your food tastes until you use it.
So, not surprisingly this dish has two kinds of onions: sweet onion and a couple of green onions.
Once the onions turn translucent , add chopped potatoes with water and cook them for 20 minutes on low heat. They should start steaming in the onions on top of the water, which will make their texture quite different from just boiled potatoes.
While the potatoes are simmering, you can cook bacon in the oven for 10 minutes at 400F.
Then add garlic and green onions to further accentuate the flavors in the dish.
Once the potatoes are cooked, it’s time to add the eggs to the skillet. I used four, but I don’t see any reasons why you can’t use more or less than that.
Chop the bacon slices and sprinkle them all over the skillet, then add cheese and cook the eggs to your liking.
This recipe is for 4 servings however my husband and I finished the entire pan together in one sitting, it was THAT good.
The only downside to this dish is the length of time it takes to cook potatoes – over 20 minutes. It’s definitely not your lazy morning breakfast. However, if you have some leftover cooked potatoes laying around – go for it and that should cut your cooking time by more than half.
Look at all this bacon – this dish is loaded with goodness! I don’t know how I managed to take the pictures at all before the entire thing disappeared.
My suggestion is to serve the egg surrounded by this bacon extravaganza just like this:
And next time you find yourself reaching for something sugary for breakfast, remember this savory goodness. It will keep you quite full till lunch and happy for the rest of the day!
- • 4 medium red potatoes, chopped into small cubes
- • 1 sweet onion
- • 4 strips bacon
- • 1 tbsp olive oil
- • 1/2 cup water
- • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- • 3 green onions, sliced
- • 1/2 tsp sea salt
- • Freshly ground black pepper
- • 4 eggs
- • 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add onions to the skillet. Start sautéing, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften.
- Add potatoes and toss for 2 minutes. Pour in water, reduce heat to low, and cover skillet with a large lid. Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes, until tender. While potatoes are cooking, prepare bacon by baking it in the oven at 400 for 10 minutes.
- Stir in crushed garlic and green onions. Add ½ teaspoon of sea salt. Using a wooden spoon, make four holes in the potatoes and crack an egg into each hole. Season each egg with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with cheese and cooked bacon bits over the entire skillet. Replace lid and cook until eggs are cooked, about 10 minutes depending on how you like your eggs.