This delicious Bacon, Egg, Potato and Cheese One Pan Breakfast Skillet has all you’ve ever wanted for breakfast! This gluten free breakfast recipe can definitely be one of your favorites. And you will love the bacon flavor in potatoes here.
Fat, protein and starches breakfast
Fat, protein and starches in the foods you eat each day are critical in maintaining your health. Your body uses them for energy and movement, and they provide the building blocks for biological molecules in your cells and tissues.
In this breakfast recipe, you have all three:
Fat: Bacon and olive oil
Protein: Bacon and eggs
I have never been the kind of person to be able to physically tolerate cereal or sweet type of breakfast. It always affected my blood sugar negatively. I would get jumpy, easily irritable and unpredictable in my moods.
This bacon, egg and potato skillet will make you feel full longer and therefore happier. In other words, human body thrives on protein with some fats and starches for breakfast!
Variations in this One Pan Breakfast
- Sausage can be used instead of the bacon in this recipe
- Use frozen hashbrowns instead of potatoes for a faster preparation
- Use sweet potatoes instead of the regular ones.
- Beat the eggs and pour them over the entire skillet for scrambled egg version
- Add green chillies or jalapeños for more spice
Overall, the combinations are endless!
To make this gluten-free-breakfast Paleo and AIP friendly
Simply substitute regular potatoes with sweet potatoes. This particular substitution makes this breakfast potato recipe suitable for both Paleo people and also for those avoiding nightshades on Auto Immune Protocol (AIP) diet.
How to cut the potatoes
Make sure to slice the potatoes in small chunks so that they can cook quickly in the bacon grease.
When should bacon be added to the egg and potato skillet?
Make sure to add crumbled bacon after eggs are done and cheese is melted. Do not add it at the same time you add eggs as bacon will soften and will not be crisp.
And next time you find yourself reaching for something sugary for breakfast, remember this savory combination of bacon, egg and potatoes. It will keep you quite full till lunch and happy for the rest of the day!
If you are hungry for more bacon, you might enjoy these delicious LUNCH bacon recipes:
- Chicken penne pasta with spinach and bacon in creamy tomato sauce
- Bacon and Mozzarella Crusted Chicken over Pasta
- Brussels sprouts and Bacon Gratin with Gruyere Cheese
Bacon, Egg, Potato and Cheese One Pan Breakfast Skillet
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 sweet onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium red potatoes (diced)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 3 green onions (chopped)
- Place bacon in a large and deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Remove bacon slices from the pan, but keep the grease. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Add garlic and onion to the skillet with bacon grease. Start sautéing, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften and garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and chopped potatoes to the onions and cook on medium heat until browned. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until potatoes are soft.
- Using a wooden spoon, make four holes in the potatoes and crack an egg into each hole. Season each egg with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over the potatoes and eggs.
- Cover with lid and cook until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. When eggs are done and cheese is melted, sprinkle with crumbled bacon, chopped green onions and more cheese.