This chicken and asparagus recipe is an easy and healthy weeknight meal where baked chicken breasts meet fresh asparagus, cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. The perfect quick dinner or meal prep option, stuffed chicken style!
You can never go wrong with chicken and asparagus at dinner time, especially chickens STUFFED with asparagus – they’re healthy, nutritious and super speedy to make. This delicious dinner combines protein and veggies all in one place. All done in 30 minutes.
Ingredients for Chicken and Asparagus
Chicken breasts. I recommend medium size chicken breasts. If your chicken breasts are too large, it will be a bit harder to get them to hold their shape with asparagus sprigs inside them. They will look slightly inflated, and it’s OK!
Asparagus. I recommend asparagus with medium thickness in order to preserve the juiciness. Thinner asparagus tends to dry out faster and becomes whthered and too chewy.
Cheese. Please use sliced cheese for this recipe. You can go with provolone, mozzarella and asiago cheeses. My favorite kind of cheese to use for chicken stuffed with asparagus is Mozzarella.
Seasonings and oil. You will need salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, paprika and garlic powder. Olive oil is ideal for this chicken and asparagus recipe!
Sun-dried tomatoes. I used oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes. Because I like them to be small, I chopped them into little chunks!
How to prepare chicken
Let’s halve each chicken breast lengthwise and season it with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning on the inside.
Arrange sun-dried tomatoes inside the halved chicken breasts. Make sure to chop your sun-dried tomatoes first!
Now let’s wrap asparagus with cheese. I used 3 asparagus sprigs and two slices of cheese around them.
Place wrapped asparagus inside halved chicken breasts.
After you folded asparagus with the cheese, add each set into the chicken breast’s pocket around it and secure each side with a wooden food pick.
Arrange stuffed chicken breasts inside a large stainless steel pan.
Bake for about 20 minutes until chicken is fully cooked at 400 F.
How do I store asparagus stuffed chicken?
Refrigerate up to 5 days. Add extra cheese and sun-dried tomatoes when reheating!
Freeze up to 1 month. I recommend freezing each piece individually and once frozen, you can combine them into the same container.
Delicious chicken recipes to try
Chicken and Asparagus
- 1.5 lb chicken breasts, medium thickness
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning, or Sicilian seasoning
- 6 oz sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¾ lb asparagus, 1 bunch
- 8 slices Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Pat the chicken breasts with paper towel until dry and not moist at all. Using a sharp knife, cut each chicken breast lengthwise stopping at the very end to create a pocket for asparagus. You should have 3 or 4 medium chicken breasts.
- Season each chicken breast generously with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Arrange chicken breasts on a cutting board or another flat surface, opened up. Add sun-dried tomatoes to each chicken breast.
- Trim your asparagus. Then fold 3 asparagus sprigs in two slices of cheese to go into the chicken breast pockets.
- Once asparagus with cheese is added to the chicken breast pocket, secure each chicken breast with a wooden food pick. Stuffed chicken breasts are ready to be cooked!
- Preheat olive oil and butter in a large stainless steel pan. Once the pan is hot, add stuffed chicken breasts and brown (without moving) on each side for 4 minutes, medium high heat.
- Transfer the pan with chicken into the oven and cook for 20 minutes, or until chicken is completely done.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.