Creamy Mushrooms and Sausage is a family favorite Italian recipe! This easy side dish is full of savory sausage and a delicious, creamy, parmesan sauce and ready in 20 minutes! Or, serve it over a bowl of pasta.
These mushrooms are perfect to serve at a party, and your guests will be raving about these! Made with wine, cheese, Italian sausage, herbs and more!
How to cook mushrooms on the stove top
Cooking mushrooms is fun, but can be challenging. Here’s how to cook tender, tasty, and juicy mushrooms every time.
Never rinse your mushrooms! Avoid rinsing mushrooms before cooking because any excess moisture inhibits browning. Most mushrooms nowadays come pre-washed, therefore you can simply wipe them off with a damp towel. That’s it!
Use a large skillet. I always cook my mushrooms in a wide 12 inch sauté pan. Why? You do need lot of surface area in order to allow the moisture to evaporate quickly and guarantee nice browning for your mushrooms. The rule of thumb is to spread them out and not overcrowd the pan!
Deglaze with wine! Yes, always add a bit of good drinking wine to give the mushrooms an amazing sauce to finish cooking in! I usually use Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay.
did I mention it’s so simple and EASY to prepare?
More mushroom recipes
Mushrooms and Sausage in Creamy Wine Sauce
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 oz. whole mushrooms
- 8 oz. hot Italian sausage (casings removed)
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup mozzarella (grated or shredded)
- ¼ cup parmesan (grated)
- Preheat oven to 375°Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Lay bacon strips in a single layer onto baking sheet, making sure not to overlap.Bake until crispy, 15 to 25 minutes.Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Chop and set aside.
- In the large pan, melt the butter and add oil. Add the mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes to lightly brown mushrooms and release their juices (if any).
- Add sausage and continue cooking until sausage is slightly browned. Add in the garlic and stir it through for a minute, until fragrant.
- Pour in the wine and let reduce for 2 minutes, while occasionally stirring.
- Next pour in the cream and add thyme and parsley. Reduce heat down to low and simmer about 4 minutes. Add the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Add the chopped bacon to the pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.