Traditional Mexican Skillet of Beef and Rice recipe has a flavorful chunky salsa sauce that smothers corn and beans. Great with guacamole, Mexican style cheese and corn chips!
Mexican beef and rice skillet is the classic combo of traditional Mexican food staples: beans, rice, beef, sauteed veggies and corn! Everything except the rice is cooked in one skillet. First, the onions and bell peppers, then the beef, then the rice, then the sauce.
You then add everything back in and voila… you’ve got one tasty Mexican style sauce with beef. It doesn’t take long at all since beef cooks super fast, and we use canned corn, beans, tomatoes and those don’t need much time either.
When you think about authentic Mexican food, what comes to mind? Tamales, tacos, enchiladas and hot skillets! This hot Mexican skillet has the classic combo of rice, beans and beef. The result? Something you’d eat at a good Mexican restaurant.
Ingredients for Mexican Beef Skillet with Rice
Beef. I used 90 percent lean ground beef. Using 80 percent lean is also good (maybe even better!).
Rice. Use brown rice as it has a richer texture than white rice. You can also use parboiled brown rice.
Corn. I used organic canned corn.
Black beans. Organic black beans from a can.
Salsa. Chunky mild salsa, unless you want extra heat!
Taco seasoning. Keep in mind that taco seasoning is salty so if you are sodium conscious- taste the sauce and adjust accordingly.
Salt and pepper
Olive oil. You can use other cooking oils or butter!
What I love the best about this Mexican skillet with beef recipe is that it’s easy to make and is packed with many nutrients and amino acids. Not only is it very nutritious but it’s also gluten free and rich in fiber!
This Mexican classic has become one of my favorite everyday recipes!
Serve this Mexican beef and rice skillet with guacamole, sour cream, taco chips and more salsa!
Beef. I used ground beef, but you can also use ground chicken or turkey.
Rice. Brown rice is sooo delicious in this beef skillet. Altnernatives include quinoa, parboiled rice or white rice.
Can I make it dairy free?
The only dairy in this recipe is cheese. You can easily omit the cheese, or replace it with diary free vegan version.
More delicious beef recipes
Traditional Mexican Skillet of Beef and Rice
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, red and yellow
- 1.5 lb. ground beef, 90 percent lean
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa, chunky and mild
- 1 cup chicken broth, or more, as needed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup corn, yellow, canned
- 1 cup black beans, canned
- 1 cup Mexican style cheese, shredded
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 lime, sliced
- Parsley, chopped, for garnish
Make the rice
- Begin by preparing the rice – I boiled 1 cup of brown rice in 2 cups water in order to have enough.
Brown the beef
- Next heat olive oil in a large 12 inch skillet. Add onions and garlic and saute them for 4 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook them for 1 more minute. Add ground beef and cook until browned.
Make the sauce
- Add tomato paste and taco seasoning to the beef and mix well. Next pour in salsa and chicken stock. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once everything is simmering, add cooked rice, corn and black beans. Cook for 10 more minutes, covered, until well heated. Add more salsa or chicken stock if you want more liquid.
- Add cheese to the skillet, close the lid again and allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve immediately with melted cheese on top, halved grape tomatoes and limes (you can squeeze lime juice if you want). Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.