This yummy broccoli mushroom and rice casserole is fabulous with a Thanksgiving turkey or a Christmas ham! Loaded with cheese and garlic. Bright and vibrant with lots of shiitake mushrooms.
And very easy to make – just mix rice, mushrooms and broccoli into the luxuriously creamy sauce – it’s so delicious!
Equipment needed to make Mushroom Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Skillet to soften mushrooms
- Medium saucepan to cook broccoli
- Medium size casserole for baking
I also like how this dish looks – gourmet style! Your Thanksgiving party will be impressed!
Did I mention that the sauce is just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G? It’s cheesy, but not too heavy or greasy. Make sure to use sharp Cheddar cheese for a nice full flavor! I guarantee that if you have guests coming this Thanksgiving, they will enjoy this dish and ask you for a recipe!
This is such a comfort food recipe and best of all, it’s made completely from scratch with fresh ingredients! Definitely a crowd pleaser.
How much rice to use for Cheesy Broccoli Casserole
A word of caution about rice. The recipe calls for 3 cups of cooked rice, which is actually 1 cup of uncooked rice. Make sure to measure exactly 1 cup of rice and use a 1:2 ratio of one cup of rice to two cups of water + ½ teaspoon of salt.
Want to make it in advance? Why not? You can definitely freeze this dish – so feel free to make it in advance of the holidays!
Very easy to make and so delicious! And tasty leftovers too.
If you enjoy hearty recipes that are not overly complicated, yet tasty and filling:
Cheddar, Thyme and Beer Potatoes Au Gratin
Zesty Brussels sprout Coleslaw with Horseradish
Brussels sprouts and Bacon Gratin with Gruyere cheese
Green Bean and Chicken Skillet with Gruyere cheese and Bread Crumbs
This yummy broccoli mushroom and rice casserole is loaded with cheese and garlic. Bright and vibrant with lots of shiitake mushrooms.
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 10 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken stock unsalted
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded, divided)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cooked white rice (which equals 1 cup of uncooked rice)
- Preheat oven to 425F and start heating the water in a medium saucepan for the broccoli.
- Add the broccoli to the medium saucepan with water and simmer over medium-high heat and for 4 to 5 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat large skillet at medium high heat. Add olive oil. Add chopped onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook them for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Next add heavy cream, chicken stock, 1 cup cheese, salt, garlic powder and black pepper to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a simmering point allowing the sauce to thicken a bit, just about 2 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and broccoli to the skillet with the sauce and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture from the skillet onto a baking casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese on top. Bake at 425 F for 20 minutes.
Adapted from Sunny Anderson's Cheesy Mushroom and Broccoli Casserole (Food Network)