This cinnamon roll apple cake with raisins is made with fresh apples, refrigerated cinnamon roll and topped with a home-made cream cheese icing. A perfect Fall dessert! It’s also a fast and easy way of making a delicious apple dessert that will wow your family and friends.
Apples with cinnamon is a delicious combination. I loved it here so much that when I made my Instant Pot Apple Cake recipe I added cinnamon flavor there as well which created an incredible aroma in my house that day!
And since a good majority of the apples ripen right around this time of the year, why not use fresh local apples for this bake? I used Granny Smith apples.
Did I also mention that this dessert will fill your house with an amazing cinnamon apple smell? The combination of flavors and textures is heavenly!
How to slice cinnamon roll
We are using 12.4 oz can of refrigerated cinnamon roll. Simply cut up one refrigerated cinnamon roll dough by splitting it into two stacks (4 rolls in each) and cutting each stack twice across and twice lengthwise.
On the picture below you can see the knife indentations on the uncut portion to make it easier to see how it was cut. You can also see the resulting sizes of the pieces.
Prepare cinnamon vanilla mixture
Combine 2 eggs, ¼ cup milk, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and ¼ cup raisins in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth.
Add cut up cinnamon roll pieces and raisins to this mixture and set aside to allow them to absorb some of the mixture.
Prepare the apples
Heat up 1 tablespoon butter with ½ cup brown sugar in a small pan, add 2 peeled and diced apples (two green apples) and cook them until soft, about 5 minutes.
Final Assembly of cinnamon roll apple cake
I used 9 inch glass round dish for this apple dessert.
First, pour cinnamon roll/raisin mixture onto a greased round baking dish.
At this point it will look like it has extra liquid – this is GOOD. This liquid will be absorbed while cooking and after it’s exposed to air/oxygen when cooling off, resulting in a soft and moist bake. If you do remove the extra liquid before baking – you might get a dry pudding like consistency, which will store better in a fridge.
Sprinkle with additional raisins on top of the apples for decoration. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 F.
How to make cream cheese icing
I did not use icing that came with the roll and instead, prepared a homemade version using 4 oz cream cheese, 1 cup of SIFTED powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon heavy cream.
The resulting icing is moist, creamy and very YUMMY! Try not to get addicted to this cream cheese icing!
You will love how easy this Apple Cinnamon Roll Cake is to make and how delicious it is!
You might also enjoy these tasty apple desserts:
- Instant Pot Apple Cinnamon Cake
- Apple Cinnamon Cake
- Sheet Pan Chicken with Brussels sprouts, Apples and Bacon
This cinnamon roll apple cake with raisins is made with fresh apples, refrigerated cinnamon roll and topped with a home-made cream cheese icing.
- 12.4 oz refrigerated cinnamon roll dough
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raisins more for decoration
- 2 green apples such as granny smith, peeled and diced in cubes
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar SIFTED
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- CINNAMON ROLL PREPARATION: Cut up one pack of cinnamon roll dough by dividing it into two 4 pack buns and cutting each stack lengthwise and crosswise (4 times in total).
- ROLL/CINNAMON/RAISIN MIXTURE: In a medium bowl, combine 2 eggs, ¼ cup milk, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and ¼ cup raisins. Whisk until smooth. Add cinnamon roll pieces to this mixture to allow the them to absorb some of the mixture to prevent sogginess and extended baking time.
- APPLE/BROWN SUGAR MIXTURE: Heat up 1 tbsp butter with ½ cup brown sugar in a small pan, add peeled and diced apples (two green apples) and cook them until soft, about 5 minutes.
- PUTTING THE PIE TOGETHER: Grease 9 inch baking dish with butter (I used round glass one) and pour dough mixture with cut up cinnamon roll onto a greased baking dish, followed by the apple mixture. Sprinkle with additional raisins on top of the apples for decoration. At this point the dish will look like it has extra liquid – this is GOOD. Some of this liquid will be absorbed while cooking AND after it's exposed to air/oxygen when cooling off, resulting in soft and moist bake. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 F.
- HOMEMADE ICING: Mix 1 cup of SIFTED powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon heavy cream and 4 oz of cream cheese together really well with a whisk. Icing can be spread over the pie with a fork after the pie is cooled off.