Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta with Smoked Sausage is a wonderful weeknight one pot pasta dish! This family favorite pasta recipe comes together in only 30 minutes!
After I made this amazing Italian Chicken Pasta recipe, I wanted to try another simple meal packed with flavor. Additionally, I wanted add sausage as well. Indeed, Cajun Chicken Pasta with Sausage just seemed like a natural choice! Quick and easy dinner is always something I have on my mind. And I just love chicken and sausage combination because it’s so flavorful and delicious.
I think there’s nothing better than having a restaurant quality pasta dish on the table within minutes! Especially when I’m treating my family and friends! This creamy pasta dish has a tendency to disappear quickly from our dinner table! Smoked sausage, mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce here do a beautiful job here! They create the most amazing Cajun Chicken Pasta dish inside your kitchen.
What kind of pasta to use with Cajun Chicken?
Although I made mine using Penne pasta (like Chili’s Cajun Chicken Pasta penne dish), you can also use linguine here. Additionally, rigatoni is a popular option to make Cajun Chicken Pasta tasty. Besides, you can substitute gluten free brown rice pasta or red lentil pasta if you don’t eat grains!
What kind of sausage to use in Cajun Chicken Pasta?
I used smoked sausage in this Cajun chicken pasta recipe. First, they cook the sausage and then they smoke it. They make it from ground pork, turkey, beef or a combination of meats. And these sausages can include any variation of seasonings.
You may have heard about Andouille, which is another great choice of sausage to use in Cajun chicken sauce. It’s a pretty spicy sausage. They make it from smoked pork and it makes perfect sense with cajun spices!
I also like Spanish chorizo, seasoned with smoked paprika. It would be such a great choice and companion to Cajun chicken here as well.
All in all, smoked sausage and chicken combination is sooo good here!
A FEW COMMON QUESTIONS
Why didn’t my Parmesan melt?
- Any pre-grated cheese will almost never melt properly. Many pre-grated cheese have additives ( such as wood pulp, cellulose) that prevent the cheese from clumping together. Unfortunately, this is exactly what will disrupt your cheese from melting. As a result, I never cook with pre-grated Parmesan.
- Heat can be the culprit. Just make sure your concoction is not boiling before you add the Parm. During the “mingling” period, did you let the mixture get up to temp to the point of having bubbles appear at the edge of the pan? If yes, then reduce the heat and add Parmesan.
- You should add only add a bit of cheese at a time. Make sure the first handful of cheese is melted before adding another. Otherwise it can be too much for the mixture to handle.
Salted or unsalted butter?
- Salted butter isn’t consistent so you won’t know how much salt you need in addition, and most recipes expect that you’re using unsalted.
Brown WHOLE chicken breasts.
But do not cut them before cooking! Not only will it guarantee a beautiful seared chicken look, but also will make the chicken taste better!
Besides, it’s easier and less messy to slice chicken when you already cooked it. Once browned, remove it from pan and slice into strips.Next, brown the sausage in the same pan. Slice the sausage and I do recommend to slice it thinly. Lastly, remove cooked sausage from the pan. When I removed it, I put it next to my chicken on the same plate.After you cook the sausage, add sliced mushrooms to the pan. Then brown them for about 5 more minutes. Remove mushrooms from the pan to make room for sauce.
How to make Creamy Cajun Sauce:
- At first, add chicken broth, heavy cream, Worcestershire sauce to the pan. Next, bring to a slight simmer. Now add all your seasonings. Namely, Cajun seasoning, Paprika and Garlic powder.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese to thicken the sauce. Taste the creamy Cajun sauce and add salt to your liking.
- Lastly, add cooked pasta into the sauce and stir well to coat pasta with the cream sauce. Taste it at this point and adjust any seasoning (salt and Cajun seasoning).
Once you mix pasta with the sauce, add sliced chicken, sausage chunks and mushrooms. Next reheat the dish on low heat.
Enjoy this Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta with a glass of wine!
What goes well with Cajun Chicken Pasta?
It’s perfectly delicious to eat this creamy Cajun Chicken recipe without anything on the side. It’s a great stand alone meal! However, you might also enjoy it with Arugula Salad, Warm Quinoa Salad or Spinach Salad in Honey Mustard Vinaigrette.
And how about Buttery Mashed Potato Pie? Use this Cajun chicken sauce leftovers on top of the mashed potatoes!
Can I make Cajun Chicken Pasta in advance?
Yes, you can! First, prepare everything except for the pasta. Then, cook the pasta fresh when you are ready to serve. Finally, add it to your other ingredients after re-heating them.
Keep your Cajun Chicken Pasta refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to enjoy.
More delicious chicken pasta recipes to enjoy
- Chicken Pasta in Pesto White Wine Sauce
- Seared Chicken Pasta in Chardonnay Parmesan Sauce
- Pasta Bolognese in Creamy Vodka Sauce
How about this insanely popular Creamy Chicken Pasta with Bacon recipe?
Creamy Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta
Creamy Parmesan Sauce:
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- Boil pasta in salty water according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Chicken, sausage and mushrooms:
- Generously season chicken with salt, pepper, Cajun and Italian seasonings. Do not slice it yet - you will be cooking it whole. Slice sausage into 1/4 inch circles and slice mushrooms.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp butter and melt it over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add whole chicken breasts and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side until browned for a total of 8-10 minutes. Remove chicken onto a plate and slice into strips.
- Add sliced sausage pieces and brown them on medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side until darker in color around the edges. Remove from the skillet onto a plate.
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of water and add 2nd tbsp of butter and sliced mushrooms into the skillet (add more butter as well, if needed). Saute until your mushrooms should look nice and moist, and dark. Once cooked, remove them from the pan as well.
- To make the sauce, add remaining 1 tbsp butter to the pan, allow it to melt and then cook garlic in it until slightly browned – only for a couple of minutes. Next add chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce and heavy cream and bring to a light simmer. Add Cajun seasoning, paprika and garlic powder and mix into the sauce.
- Add Parmesan cheese and whisk to blend for 2-3 minutes to thicken the sauce. Taste the sauce and add salt to taste.
- Add cooked pasta into the sauce and mix in well. Next add the chicken, sausage and mushrooms back into the pan and allow them to reheat for 2-3 minutes. Close the lid to help the heat stay in. Serve immediately!
You might also enjoy this amazing Chicken Spinach and Bacon Alfredo Pasta. This recipe is so easy to make in only 30 minutes!