Russian Apple Sheet Cake is a moist and buttery apple cake with a delicious apple filling and perfectly sweet crumb topping. This apple dessert is simple and quick to make. Eat i all at once or serve it as apple crumb bars at the party. Great treat for summer or fall!
Russian Apple Sheet Cake is easy, delicious and great for large parties, pot lucks or family get-togethers! The dough is perfectly sweet, with slightly tart apple filling and the perfect amount of crumb topping. So delicious! The yummy apple chunks will satisfy your sweet tooth not just in the fall but throughout a year.
When I was little we had a huge apple tree in our backyard. Full of green apples. As I was growing up, we would pick apples in September or October and make all kinds of great fall desserts. We made and ate apple pies, apple crumb bars and apple cakes. All the time! To this day, I still love baking with apples in the fall. Whenever the kitchen starts to smell sweet from baked apples, it brings me back to those wonderful childhood memories.
Russian Apple Sheet Cake will use up all the apples in your fridge! Apples are a very versatile and abundant fruit. Even though they are in season in the fall, you can buy them all year long to make delicious baked apple cakes and apple crumb bars. I do! This apple sheet cake recipe was handed down to my Mom and our family has been enjoying it for years.
Can I make Russian Apple Sheet Cake ahead
One of the huge advantages of this cake is that you can make the dough ahead of time. It’s a great option for the days when your craving for something sweet hits. The dough can be refrigerated for a few days or kept in the freezer for up to a month. Then it’s as simple as rolling out the dough, adding the filling, the topping, and baking.
What size baking sheet should I use
The recipe uses 18 by 13 inches with a 1 inch rim, but the cake fits only into a part of the baking sheet. Therefore you can use a smaller one.
How to make Russian Apple Sheet Cake
Prepare the batter by mixing dry and wet ingredients together in a large bowl. Knead.
Once you prepared the dough, now halve it equally. Then shape each half into a ball. Roll out each ball into large flat ovals using a rolling pin. You can roll it out on a cutting board or on top of a parchment paper.
Before arranging the apple slices over the batter, I sometimes toss them gently in sugar. Just a tablespoon, otherwise the cake will leak. You can also add cinnamon if you like.
Next, layer the apple slices over the cake batter.
Add second layer on top. Using a fork, pierce it in multiple places and make a hole in the middle of the top layer.
Now sprinkle crumb topping on top. Bake!
Once Russian Apple Sheet Cake is done, cut it up into small bars and serve. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or hot chocolate!
How to store this apple dessert
- Store this Russian Apple Cake at a room temperature for up to 3 days covered with a clean towel. Do not use air tight containers if storing outside the fridge. You will want some air flow.
- Refrigerate it in the air tight container for up to one week.
- Or, wrap each apple crumb bar in a Saran Wrap and freeze them individually for up to one month. This way you can easily defrost each small piece when you sweet tooth demands it.
And remember that an apple a day keeps a doctor away!
Apple Sheet Cake
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, 2 sticks, softened
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 apples, (Granny Smith, large in size)
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsps butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, sour cream, and vanilla extract until completely combined. Add softened butter.In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine. Knead until it just comes together, then mold into two balls.
- Place each of the balls onto a parchment paper. Roll out each ball into large flat ovals using a rolling pin on two separate parchment papers. Place first oval onto a cooking sheet.
- Slice apples thinly and set aside.
- Add sliced apples on top of the first oval. Cover the apples with the second oval (you will carry it with the parchment paper) and pinch together to seal. Using a fork, pierce the top layer in multiple places and make a hole in the middle of the top layer.
- Add flour, sugar to the bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and use your fingers to rub in the butter. Use just your finger-tips (not your warm hands) and quick motions, pinching your fingers to mash the small pieces of butter into the dry ingredients until moist crumbs form.
- Add crumb topping on top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Leave a Reply