The most amazing creamy chicken pasta you will ever have! So delicious and easy to make! Golden seared juicy chicken thighs are smothered in an incredible Sun-Dried Tomato Parmesan sauce. This creamy pasta recipe is the ultimate comfort food!
Never suffer through dry chewy chicken breast or bland sauce again – this recipe delivers!! It’s perfect as a quick weeknight dinner or you can make it for any special occasion.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make the perfect chicken pasta recipe you’re going to LOVE this version with sun dried tomatoes!
How to make it?
To make creamy chicken pasta in sauce, we sear chicken breasts in oil, then swirl with wine and heavy cream to make a creamy sauce, and serve over linguine pasta. This recipe is not particularly fussy, the bulk of the cooking time comes from boiling pasta and browning the chicken. It’s not diet food, but it will put a smile on everyone’s face.
To make this easy creamy pasta recipe, you will need:
- Chicken Thighs: We are using boneless and skinless chicken things, but just about any boneless/skinless chicken variety will work here: tenders or breasts. If using chicken breasts, make sure to halve them horizontally, otherwise they will be too thick.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: I recommend sun-dried tomatoes in oil for this recipe, because they will provide the most flavor and color for the sauce.
- Sauce Ingredients: White wine, chicken stock or broth, heavy cream and dijon mustard. Wine lends an amazing flavor to the sauce. Although if you prefer not to cook with wine, feel free to just add in a little extra broth instead. Also, make sure to use sodium free chicken stock, or low sodium version. However, if regular chicken stock is all you have, that’s no problem at all. Simply make sure to not add salt in the next step before tasting the sauce!
- Seasoning for the sauce: onion and garlic powders, Italian seasoning and of course salt! I recommend using sea salt and adding only ½ a teaspoon.
- Pasta: I used linguine here, but penne, rigatoni, zoodles or any other kind of noodles would also be delicious.
- Garnishes: I love some grated Parmesan and lots and lots of freshly-cracked black pepper on my creamy chicken pasta dish.
What is garlic Parmesan sauce made of?
Garlic Parmesan Sauce is a creamy gravy made with white wine, chicken broth and dijon mustard. It’s thickened with Parmesan cheese and flavored with sun dried tomatoes and Italian seasoning. I love the reddish color against the deep golden brown seared chicken thighs!
Wondering you if you can freeze this chicken pasta?
Yes you can! Thaw, then reheat in the oven or on the stove top by adding additional broth and cream – be very careful not to overcook the pasta when reheating.
What to serve with creamy chicken pasta
I love serving this with:
- A big green salad, such as Cucumber Tomato Salad with Avocado or this easy Olive Garden Copycat Salad.
- A side of veggies, such as Creamy Bacon Brussels sprouts. Or, try Garlic and Bacon Green Beans for a crispy and crunchy side!
- Either a bold red bottle of wine, or a nice crisp white. Both pair great with this chicken pasta recipe!
- And…maybe some No Bake Chocolate Pie for dessert.
If using noodles or pasta, I recommend using a short pasta. It just makes it easier to eat, ensuring you get a bit of everything with plenty of that sauce in every bite!
Creamy Chicken Pasta in Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
- 1 ½ lb. chicken thighs skinless and boneless
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup basil leaves
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth/stock sodium free
- 1 cup cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ cup parmesan grated
- 10 oz pasta (linguine)
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels.
- Preheat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil, once hot, add the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side. About 6-8 minutes total. Remove onto a plate.
- While chicken is cooking, heat up water in a large saucepan, add salt (to your liking) and cook pasta according to your package instructions in salty water. I like pasta that is neither too hard nor too soft, so I always cook it Al Dente. Drain, but do not rinse.
- Add 2nd tablespoon of olive oil to the empty pan (chicken removed). Add garlic chopped sun dried tomatoes. add basil leaves and cook until wilted. Now let's add white wine to the pan (chicken should be removed) and simmer for 2 minutes to let the alcohol evaporate.
- Once the sauce is smooth,
- To assemble the dish, add cooked pasta to the skillet with the sauce and stir to combine on low heat for 2-4 minutes. Taste and add salt, if needed. Return chicken to skillet on top of the pasta and allow it to warm up for an additional 5 minutes. You can also slice the chicken into strips.
- SERVE chicken either on top or next to pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.