Delicious, very easy to make Thanksgiving dish loaded with ham and potatoes. Need I say more? Oh yes, it’s also quite cheesy. Asiago cheesy. You will need to restrain yourself from finishing the entire casserole before sharing it with family and friends.
Juicy, mouthwatering ham, baked with butter and cheese.
Thinly sliced potatoes, buttery and soft.
Asiago cheese, smooth and sharp in flavor.
This ham and potato casserole will make your holiday dinner unforgettable.
This recipe uses a large casserole, like the one in the picture below. Mine is the elongated type of the most common large casserole sized 9×13.
First, lay out the potatoes and generously cover them up with salt and pepper!
Then, add the chicken cubes on top of the potato layer. Again, salt and pepper liberally!
Third, add ham slices. It’s ham. Salty kind. No salt needed here.
Now, it’s butter and Asiago cheese time!
Finally, pour the heavy cream and sprinkle with scallions. Voilà! All the work by now is done.
The final step is to put it in the oven for an hour and a half and enjoy a TV show or a book! Or look up a new recipe on this blog!
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes (yellow), peeled and cut into thin slices
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 4 slices of ham, cut into squares
- 1/4 cup butter (equals to 1/2 stick or 4 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese (can use Cheddar too)
- 4 stalk scallions, green part cut into small circles
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spread the potatoes in a large (about 9 x 13 inches) casserole, sprinkle this first layer abundantly with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken on top of the potatoes, also in one single layer. Salt and pepper the chicken layer as well.
- Now evenly spread butter pieces, ham and cheese across the entire surface. Sprinkle with scallions.
- Pour the heavy cream over top of casserole. Salt and pepper this layer.
- Cover the casserole with aluminum foil, place it in the oven (on the second shelf from the bottom) and bake for 60 minutes. Uncover the pan and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.