Oven Baked Peri Peri Chicken is a healthy way to prepare chicken drumsticks and thighs with only 3 carbs per serving! These low carb chicken thighs come out crispy on the outside and amazingly tender on the inside.
I marinated chicken thighs and drumsticks in the absolutely delicious homemade marinade! By the way, it consists of fresh lemon, garlic, paprika, Oregano and red pepper flakes! No wonder, that this baked chicken thighs recipe is now almost as popular as the amazing Pan Seared Chicken Thighs. I like to serve it with Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
And if it’s summer where you are and you love grilling, why not throw this Peri Peri Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks on the grill!
What is Peri Peri Chicken?
Peri Peri Chicken is spicy dish with a plethora of Portugal/Mozambique/Cape Town flavors. It became popular among the Portuguese settlers in Africa. Specifically, they brought Bird Eye Chile peppers (or Peri Peri peppers) with them when they resettled.
Peri Peri chicken was originally famous only in Spain and Portugal. But thanks to the international restaurant chain Nando, this amazing dish is now popular across the globe. By the way, the locals also call it Piri Piri chicken.
How to marinate Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks
I marinated chicken thighs and drumsticks for at least 4 hours. But I do recommend to marinate overnight for best results and flavor.
How do we make the marinade? Easy! First combine minced garlic, juice and zest of 1 fresh lemon. Additionally, I added orange juice, paprika and dried Oregano. I used red pepper flakes in order to provide the kick of heat of Nando’s Peri Peri Chili pepper.
Next whisk all the ingredients together. Also, you can also make them into a paste in the food processor.
What kind of chili pepper to use in Peri Peri Chicken
In this recipe I use red pepper flakes to provide the heat of the “peri peri” chili pepper. This amazing pepper is also known as bird eye chili pepper. Also known as Thai chili pepper.
I used only 1/2 teaspoon of red chili pepper flakes and sweet paprika. That’s why the resulting marinade listed in this recipe is not too spicy. On the whole, I prefer it to not be very strong so that all the family (including kids) can eat.
By the way, you can easily adjust the heat level of the Peri Peri Chicken marinade! Simply increase or reduce red chili pepper flake amount and by using hot instead of sweet paprika.
LOW CARB OVEN BAKED CHICKEN RECIPE
This chicken thighs and drumsticks recipe is low on carbs and fat. It’s perfect for those looking for keto chicken recipes!
What skillet to use for Oven Baked Peri Peri Chicken
You will need an oven proof skillet, such as this 12 inch modern design cast iron pan.
I used a skillet here as opposed to sheet pan because I wanted to give chicken deep color. First, I browned chicken thighs and drumsticks on the stove top. Because I wanted to get the look of the grilled chicken. Then I baked it. However, if you prefer to use a sheet pan, that will still produce a wonderful crispy chicken. But the grilled look might not be there.
Another important step to remember is to sprinkle fresh paprika on the marinated chicken pieces. Make sure to do that before searing them. Doing so will ensure a nice color and crust on the skin.
How to grill Peri Peri Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks
Since summer is around the corner, grilling Peri Peri Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks is a no brainer! Simply clean and oil your grill and preheat it to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat.
- First remove chicken thighs and drumsticks from the marinade.
- Then place them on your grill skin side up.
- Next, let them cook for 10 minutes
- Then flip over, and cook for another 10 minutes.
- And while you have your grill going, grill some veggies, too. I’m thinking bell peppers, onions and corn!
After all, there is no easier or healthier dinner than throwing some chicken and veggies on the grill!
Are you hungry for more oven roasted chicken thighs recipes? Below are two recipes with easy to follow instructions and lots of flavor:
I hope you enjoy this Peri Peri chicken recipe as much as my family does! As always, leave me a comment if you have additional questions. I’m happy to answer them!
Marinated Peri Peri Chicken Thighs and Drumsticks
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Oregano (or Italian Seasoning)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 lb chicken thighs and drumsticks (skin on, bone in)
- Parsley (for garnish)
- Prepare the marinade by mixing minced garlic, lemon juice, orange juice and olive oil together with a whisk. Add lemon zest, sea salt, sweet paprika, black pepper, red pepper flakes and dry oregano (or use Italian Seasoning instead). Whisk everything together.
- Pour the marinade into a plastic bowl or large ziplock bag. Add chicken thighs and drumsticks to the bag with marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or preferable overnight.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF. Sprinkle paprika on top of the chicken skin (this will create a nice color on the skin).
- Preheat an oven proof skillet, such as cast iron and add olive oil and butter. Once the butter is melted and the skillet is hot, add chicken skin side down and cook undisturbed on medium high heat for 4 minutes or until chicken is nicely browned.
- Flip chicken over (skin side up) and move the skillet to the oven. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 400 F. Remove from the oven, ensure that the chicken is cooked through. Garnish with parsley.