Sausage Breakfast Casserole will make your breakfast unforgettable! Because we packed it with cheese, sausage and hash browns! The best breakfast casserole is perfect with your favorite cup of coffee!
The best breakfast casserole you will ever make! I made it with frozen hash browns, eggs, sausage and cheese. It’s ideal for a feeding a family, or a couple. And you can make it a day ahead!
When planning this breakfast recipe, I was looking for something filling. For example, something similar to this Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash. Because I was already making Pumpkin Muffins that morning, I decided that another sweet breakfast recipe was not a good option. Besides, I wanted to be sure I had a protein rich meal to start the day off right. This is when I opted for this Easy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole.
Easy Breakfast Casserole
This easy breakfast casserole is one of my favorite things to have for breakfast! It’s filling, tasty and easy to make. I also love that it doesn’t take any special skills to whip up such a delicious breakfast! This recipe will yield about 12 average servings. You can easily halve it if you are feeding only a couple of people. Or, you can double it for some tasty leftovers later.
What is Breakfast Casserole?
Traditionally we make Breakfast Casserole with eggs, hash browns and sausage. It’s also frequently made with ham and cheese. While the original style is great, I simply like to add spinach and caramelized onions to make it taste even better!
HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE:
- The first step to making easy breakfast casserole is to defrost your hash browns the day before. You will move them from the freezer to refrigerator the night before. That they they will be ready to go on the morning when you need them.
- You will start by caramelizing your onions. Stirring constantly for about 5 minutes just to let the onions soften. You will also want to deglaze with a splash of water at the end.
- Then you will add sausage and cook it in the pay.
- The next step will be to add spinach. It will wilt quickly in the hot skillet.
- After that you will add your defrosted hash browns and stir them in.
- Once you warm up those hash browns, you will add cheese.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared 9×9 casserole dish. You can also use 9×13 dish.
- Lastly, add milk and eggs mixture right into the casserole dish.
For how long should I bake it?
You will bake it at 375 F for at least 40 minutes. However, you might have to keep it in the oven even longer than that. You’ll have to check center of your breakfast casserole will be done. So you will cook it anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 hour.
Note that it is best to use only 1/2 cup of milk so that your breakfast casserole is not runny. I do not recommend using more than that for this recipe.
The cheese and eggs will thicken this dish up. If you like to use more cheese, allow the sauce to stand for 2-3 minutes before serving.
If you love making your own breakfast at home, be sure to try out this breakfast casserole as well.
Sausage, hash browns and cheese come together in this amazing Breakfast Casserole!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. breakfast sausage
- 20 oz. hash browns (frozen)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup pepper jack cheese (shredded)
- 2 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 7 eggs or 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 onion
The day before: Defrost hash browns the night before by placing the bag of frozen hash browns in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large skillet, add olive oil and sauté onions until caramelized. Next cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add hash browns to skillet and cook until lightly brown. Place hash browns in bottom of lightly greased 9x13-inch pan. Top with sausage and cheese.
Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper, and milk. Pour over sausage and hash brown mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes.