Instant Pot Brisket in BBQ Sauce is easy melt in your mouth beef brisket recipe! In the most amazing and flavorful Barbecue sauce, made completely from scratch. The brisket is tender, the sauce is out of this world, and this is one of the easiest meals you’ll ever make! And minimal clean-up!
The perfect Sunday afternoon is making Instant Pot Beef Brisket. This is one pressure cooker recipe where you want to enjoy a glass of wine waiting for its arrival at your dinner table.
We made this juicy brisket for our New Year’s Eve celebration and it was an absolute hit! Pressure cooking the brisket allows the connective tissues to slowly dissolve into the meat. As a result, the meat is amazingly tender. We served it with Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
What to serve with Instant Pot Brisket?
I usually enjoy my brisket with Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. But you can also choose Spicy Maple Sweet Potatoes or Cheddar, Thyme and Beer Au Gratin. And don’t forget about this sweet cornbread recipe.
Pressure cooking instructions
- First of all, you will select PRESSURE COOK setting
- Next, set the time for 90 minutes. Simply press + or – to adjust time.
- Finally, use 15 minutes of natural release.
This Instant Pot Beef Brisket will be the easiest meal on your menu, whether it is a celebration or just a regular dinner. Besides, it makes a great sandwich meat too. The wonder of this beef brisket is not only about the texture of the brisket itself, but also the amazing flavor of the barbecue sauce. Let’s also talk about all juices of the instant pot!
How to slice the brisket
- Let’s make sure that your knife is very sharp. Otherwise, it will not be able to produce the thinly sliced meat that we are aiming for here. You should use either a carving knife or a chef knife. The blade must be SHARP! If you don’t have a sharpener at hand but have a cabinet full of coffee mugs like we do, run a sharp edge on your knife along the bottom of a ceramic mug. This should temporarily sharpen your knife.
- Next, find the direction of the grain. It’s basically the way the muscle fibers are aligned. Then slice across the grain rather than parallel with it. Now put the blade of your knife perpendicular to the grain and start slicing at an angle. Go with the short strokes. Make sure to slice your slow cooked beef brisket thinly.
Hint: When you slice with the grain as opposed to across the grain, you will get these long, shredded pieces. This is a good indication that you are cutting the wrong way.
What’s in the Rub?
First, beef brisket is rubbed with the special rubbing mixture. that includes paprika, cumin, mustard powder, garlic & onion powders.
I recommend rubbing the brisket the night before. Then you will place the beef brisket with the rub in the resealable food-storage plastic bag. You will refrigerate it overnight.
How to make the BBQ sauce
- First, add the ingredients of the homemade barbecue sauce to the instant pot. By the way, you can use any of these kinds of vinegar: distilled, red wine or apple cider. We used apple cider vinegar.
- Next mix the barbecue sauce ingredients right in the Instant Pot.
- After pressure cooking the beef brisket, you will transfer the barbecue sauce to the saucepan in order to thicken it.
- You will simmer the BBQ sauce in the saucepan on the stove-top for 15 minutes until it’s thickened.
Tender and flavorful leftovers anyone?
If you love cooking in your instant pot, you will fall in love with these delicious recipes:
Instant Pot Spaghetti, Instant Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice and Instant Pot Country Style Pork Ribs in BBQ Sauce.
Instant Pot Barbecue Beef Brisket
- 4 lb. beef brisket (fresh or thawed, if previously frozen)
- In small bowl, stir together all ingredients from the rubbing mixture. Rub this mixture over beef brisket (can be done the day before). If done ahead of time, place beef brisket in the resealable food-storage plastic bag and refrigerate.
- Add all the ingredients from the Homemade Barbecue Sauce ingredient section into your isntant pot and mix them all together with a whisk.
Adding Beef Brisket:
- Place beef brisket into your instant pot on top of the barbecue sauce. Using a deep metal spoon, pour some of the barbecue sauce over top.
- Select Pressure Cook, on High Pressure. Set the timer for 90 minutes. When beep sounds, turn off pressure cooker and let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure. When valve drops carefully remove lid. Remove the brisket from the Instant pot. The instructions follow for the barbecue sauce.
To thicken the barbecue sauce:
- Remove the barbecue sauce liquid from your slow cooker and add it to the medium size saucepan. Bring to a boiling point and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
How to slice beef brisket:
- Cut a small corner of the brisket to determine the direction of the grain of the meat. The grain should be perpendicular to your knife. Start slicing across the grin.
- Arrange sliced brisket on a plate or a bun and pour Barbecue sauce on top of the slices. Alternatively, you can also reheat sliced beef brisket in the sauce and serve it warm.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Instant Pot Tips
If you frequently use your Instant Pot for a variety of recipes, it’s a good idea to have 2 different rings. One is for savory recipes and the other – for sweet recipes. This helps avoid odor exchange. I use this Genuine Instant Pot Ring as my second ring. Made by the Instant Pot manufacturer, it has over 1,000 positive reviews on Amazon.
Instant Pot Tempered Glass Lid is another useful tool to have on hand. It’s a good way to help keep the food warm without having to put the pressure lid on.