Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are the best homemade mashed potatoes your will kitchen will ever witness! They are rich, creamy and yes, absolutely the best! These pressure cooked mashed potatoes are mashed right in the Instant Pot. Then simply add cream cheese, butter, and garlic! Enjoy them as side dish with any meal, but especially with these Instant Pot Country Style Ribs.
The Instant Pot is a dream come true for getting restaurant quality mashed potatoes on your table. Especially when needing easy side dishes during the holidays. You will get light, creamy and fluffy mashed potatoes every time! Once you set your Instant Pot to pressure cook the potatoes, you can focus on preparing other parts of your meal. Or taking care of your kids! You will love serving these homemade Mashed Potatoes with Instant Pot Chicken.
WHAT KIND OF POTATOES TO USE
Have you ever had bad results from trying to make mashed potatoes? Red potatoes, for example, are great for baking, or roasting, but not so good for instant pot mashed potatoes.
The best option for light, fluffy, and flavorful mashed potatoes are Russet or Yukon gold potatoes. Once you made the choice, everything else is easy and fast. As a matter of fact, it takes longer to peel and the potatoes than to pressure cook them!
I personally like to use starchy potatoes, such as russet potatoes. They definitely my go to potatoes for this recipe because they produce the fluffy mashed potatoes with ease.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MASHED POTATOES
- All you need for homemade instant pot Mashed Potatoes is your pressure cooker and a good potato masher! I usually use classic stainless steel wire masher, or this fine grid potato masher. This incredibly tasty side dish is very easy to make especially because you don’t even have to drain your potatoes.
- The first step is to add chopped potatoes, garlic, chicken stock, salt, and butter to the Instant Pot. Then you will secure the lid and turn the valve to sealing. Cook them on manual high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Once time is up, you will release pressure immediately by turning the knob to ‘vent’. When all the steam is gone and the pressure is released, open the lid.
The second step is to mash the potatoes right in the instant pot using a potato masher. Once the potatoes are mashed, add the remaining butter and cream cheese. Taste and add more salt if required.
And just like that, the Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are done!
What To Do With Leftover Mashed Potatoes
I have 2 suggestions for you – freeze them (see the instructions in the next paragraph) or make them into a Buttery Mashed Potato Pie.
Can You Freeze Pressure Cooked Mashed Potatoes
Absolutely! Frozen mashed potatoes reheat pretty well in the oven with a touch of milk. To freeze instant pot mashed potatoes, scoop them into a plastic freezer bag. Then press them out into a flat square and freeze it flat. This helps to preserve precious freezer space as well as allows the potatoes defrost and reheat evenly! When you reheat them, add about a tablespoon of milk per cup of mashed potatoes and stick them in the oven to reheat.
When we made these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, we served them with this Spatchcock Chicken with Mustard Crust. The star of the show was the most delicious chicken pan drippings on top of the comforting mashed potatoes.
If you are pretty busy and running behind, these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes will save you! Because when it comes to dinner, the best mashed potatoes come quick and easy!
If you enjoy easy and delicious Instant Pot Recipes, there are several others on this site worth trying:
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lb. Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 6 cloves garlic chopped
- 2/3 cup chicken stock sodium free
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Butter divided
- 1/3 cup Cream Cheese
- Add potatoes, garlic, chicken stock, salt and 1/2 tablespoons butter to the Instant Pot. Secure the lid and turn the valve to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 8 minutes.Release pressure immediately by turning the knob to ‘vent’. Once all the steam is gone and the pressure is released, open the lid.
Mashing Potatoes in the Instant Pot
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher.Once the potatoes are mashed, add the remaining butter and cream cheese. Taste and add more salt if required.