This green bean chicken skillet is prepared with fresh ingredients only, without any canned cream soups. Done in 30 minutes, it can also be made ahead.
Save time and effort and make the green bean mushroom and chicken casserole on the stove-top this holiday season! It’s so nourishing and comforting and is covered in creamy garlic sauce! An absolute must-have side dish to your Thanksgiving table.
This green bean, mushroom and chicken skillet can be all put together in less than 30 minutes. Perfect during the busy holiday crunch time or as a quick week night dinner when you don’t have time to think about elaborate meal planning.
You can make this green bean casserole type meal in the skillet without turning your oven on. What’s even better – you can make it a couple of days ahead – it will store nicely in the fridge!
Do you like tender and juicy mushrooms covered in the rich and comforting cheesy garlic sauce? You got this combination right here in this dish.
The trick is to cook mushrooms in a skillet with a large surface area so that you can spread them in a single layer without overcrowding. Also make sure that the pan is hot enough to quickly evaporate the moisture and caramelize the mushrooms – medium high heat is good.
So if you would like to experiment with creating a different kind of green bean chicken dish this holiday season – you know, the one with fresh ingredients only, without any canned cream soups – give this one a try! Make it a couple of days ahead and reheat it on the stove top or in the oven!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 (10 oz) package of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup chicken broth (unsalted)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (more for garnish)
- 1 Tsp salt
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp wheat flour (can omit or use rice flour if gluten free)
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and heat it over medium high heat. When the pan is hot, add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until browned. Remove it onto a plate and add the sliced mushrooms in. Add in salt. In about 5 more minutes, your mushrooms should look nice and moist, and dark. Once cooked, remove them from the pan. I put them on the same plate as the cooked chicken strips.
- Cook the green beans in boiling salted water 4 to 6 minutes or to desired degree of doneness and drain. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, add butter to the pan, allow it to melt and then cook garlic in it until slightly browned – only for a couple of minutes. Slowly add chicken broth, half-and-half and parmesan cheese. All these will blend in very quickly. Add flour in order to thicken the sauce.
- Add chicken, mushrooms and beans the sauce mixture and mix them together. Season it with 1 teaspoon salt. Add black pepper, if desired.
- Serve warm and garnish with extra cheese, if desired.
You might also like