This appetizing chicken burger with bacon is packed with flavor from spicy mayo and cheese! Easy enough for a whole crowd or just one, this ground chicken burger is made with no breadcrumbs and is unbelievably juicy. Did I mention caramelized onions? Pure mouthwatering experience!
Whether it’s summer grill season or winter, it is time to start making delicious chicken burgers. Because there is nothing better than a good chunk of chicken with on a bun! With caramelized onions and bacon! And this easy chicken burger recipe is perfect with everything from baked French fries to avocado salad. Cooking chicken burger is not only succulent, it is downright easy. You can have this amazing burger ready to go in about 30 minutes.
Ground Chicken burger is lean
Chicken burger is as healthy as you can get as far as the burger world. Almost any chicken burger is leaner than one made of regular 30% fat ground beef.
Poultry has better fats than red meats, and eating poultry hasn’t been linked to a higher risk of cancer, heart attack, stroke, or diabetes.
This is my top alternative to eating red meat burgers. Plus, this chicken burger was so yummy, it was pretty easy to eat it in place of a regular burger.
Caramelized Onions on Chicken Burger
I like to have onions on this chicken burger, whether those onions are fresh or cooked. This one has lots of caramelized onions, which is an easy way to bring out a flavor out of any meat. If you’re not sure how to caramelize onions, here’s a great description of how to do it.
But don’t pack too many onions into your pan, otherwise instead of caramelizing they will steam and produce water. And make sure to deglaze with water, wine or balsamic vinegar at the end, in order for the onions to absorb all the flavor from the bottom of the pan.
And why don’t they make it mandatory to add bacon to all CHICKEN burgers out there? Bacon makes this burger taste so much better!
I cooked bacon in the oven for 10 minutes at 400F on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper and the texture of the bacon turned out to be just perfect.
Tomatoes on a burger, anyone? You can slice them as thick or as thin as you like, when combined with the spicy mayo, they will taste heavenly.
Spicy Mayo on Chicken Burger
Spicy mayo is probably the best part of this chicken burger. You can buy a premade kind or, make it yourself, by mixing mayonnaise, any hot chili or sriracha sauce. Or, why not just use plain ketchup? In my opinion, ketchup and mayo go very well together on any burger.
Making this chicken burger is super easy and once the work is done, it looks gorgeous! In fact, when I was photographing it, I kept thinking how much this burger reminds me of a gorgeous mushroom!
If you enjoy tasty chicken recipes, I have a variety of other tasty chicken recipes for you to check out:
- Skillet Chicken in Mushroom Sauce
- Herb Roasted Chicken and Potatoes in Dijon Mustard Wine Sauce
- Chicken Pasta in Creamy White Wine Parmesan Sauce
Chicken Burger with Spicy Mayo and Bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Chicken Burger Patties:
- Prepare spicy mayo by mixing mayonnaise and sriracha sauce with a whisk. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper, add bacon and bake for 10 minutes. Once done, set aside
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add onions to the skillet. Start sautéing the onions on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to soften and brown, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high, add a splash of water to the pan and continue cooking the onions for 5 more minutes. Remove onions from the skillet.
Chicken burgers patties
- Mix chili powder, salt, cumin, minced garlic, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Add egg and whisk slightly. Add ground chicken.
- Gently form the chicken into 4 balls, then lightly press into 4-inch-wide, ½-inch thick patties (or 1-inch for thicker patties). Set aside.
- Reheat the skillet on medium hot and add olive oil. Add burgers and cook until browned on each side, 5 minutes per side. Turn off the heat, add cheese on top of the hot patties and set aside.
- Assemble the burger: bottom bun, layer of spicy mayo, lettuce, tomato, chicken burger patty with cheese, more spicy mayo, if desired. And finally, add the bacon, completing the assembly with the top bun.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.