This Chocolate Chip Panettone Bread Pudding by itself is so decadent and luxurious! But it is the Bourbon-Butter sauce that puts this dessert over the top. And provides a very elegant finish!
Chocottone is Panettone with Chocolate Chips
Unlike our favorite Panettone Bread Pudding recipe, this Chocolate Chip Panettone Bread Pudding is made out of Chocottone. What is Chocottone? It’s Italian Sweet Bread, or Panettone with chocolate chips instead of candied citron and raisins. It already comes with chocolate chips in it, that’s why you won’t see them in the ingredient list.
Chocolate chip bread pudding makes this Chocotone look good and sophisticated. Yet this bread pudding is so simple and delicious!
Bourbon Butter Sauce
The box also says that it’s “made for ice cream”, but I think that the bread pudding version of it is a match in heaven for Bourbon Butter sauce.
I am so pleased with how the Bourbon Butter Sauce turned out! It is soft, creamy and smooth. And it should definitely be served warm.
If made in advance, whisk and reheat before serving. This sauce is perfect for topping this bread pudding, and it would also work on other desserts, such as a cobbler or a pie.
I’ve had regular Panettone before and even made a Panettone Bread Pudding yearly in the last 10 years or so (click here for the recipe of a regular Panettone Bread Pudding), but until now I have never had Chocolate Chip version of the bread. However making the bread pudding out of Chocottone was always on the back of my mind. So glad it finally happened!
How much Panettone to use for this Bread Pudding
This recipe for Chocolate Chip Panettone Bread Pudding uses just 1 pound, which is slightly more than half of the boxed 26 oz loaf. The bread itself is seasoned with the holiday spices. So if you get one as a present for Christmas , this is a great way to make use of this Italian treat. All you need is 9×9 inch square pan. At least, that’s what I used.
And it’s not just a dessert. It is a pretty good breakfast if you ask me. Pop a slice of this Chocolate Chip Panettone Bread Pudding into a toaster in the morning and then add some butter or even cream cheese on top.
You can make this Chocolate Chip Panettone Bread Pudding for Thanksgiving, Christmas or a New Year – what a perfect treat for any holiday.
I always like to dust my Panettone bread pudding with confectionery sugar before serving. And take a picture of the dusting process as well. Even though this one appears quite smudged. But with warm bourbon butter sauce all around and a sprinkle of confectionery sugar on top it looks quite elegant and is super tasty.
And how about the most amazing no bake dessert made with Oreos! No Bake Oreo Dessert with Cream Cheese, Cool Whip and Chocolate Pudding?
Chocolate Chip Panettone Bread Pudding with Bourbon-Butter Sauce
- Lightly butter a 9×9 inch square pan baking dish and arrange the bread cubes in the prepared dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, milk, and sugar to blend. Pour the custard over the bread cubes, and press the bread cubes gently to submerge.
- Let stand for 30 minutes, occasionally pressing the bread cubes into the custard mixture. Note: Recipe can be prepared up to this point 2 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake until the pudding puffs and is set in the center, about 45 minutes. Cool slightly.
Bourbon Butter Sauce
- Melt butter in a double boiler over simmering water. Add powdered sugar and salt and whisk until sugar is incorporated and sauce is smooth.
- Whisk in vanilla and bourbon. Immediately add the egg yolk and stir until well blended.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce heats through and thickens slightly.
- Spoon the bread pudding into bowls, drizzle with the warm bourbon-butter sauce, sprinkle with powdered sugarand serve.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.