Instant Pot Spatchcock Chicken with Mustard Crust cooks quickly and evenly! It will give you the best juicy and succulent Instant Pot Chicken! And the sauce that imparts all the flavor to the crust is very simple to make.
How to easily spatchcock your Instant Pot Chicken
- To make this Instant Pot Chicken, try to buy a smaller bird. For example, a whole chicken that does not exceed 4.5 pounds to ensure the juiciest result. Larger chickens will work but smaller ones are going to be more tender and have less added liquids.
- Spatchcocking chicken requires splitting and flattening the chicken as well as removing the backbone. As a result, it exposes more skin to direct heat, which really makes it easy to brown it more evenly.
- Option one is to ask your butcher to spatchcock the bird for you. However, if you don’t have a butcher to help you with this, please refer to Option 2 below.
- Option two is to do it yourself! I have a step by step photo tutorial on how to spatchcock the chicken right here. It takes only about 10 minutes and requires a pair of good kitchen scissors designed for cutting poultry and meat and a sharp boning knife!
Let’s go into necessary steps to make Instant Pot Chicken
- First, you prepare the mustard crust mixture.
- Then the chicken is spatchcocked. Then you will place it in a bowl large enough to rest flat. Doesn’t have to be too large. I used a glass baking dish. Salt and pepper both the underside and the skin side of the chicken.
- Third, the chicken is browned skin side down using Saute function.
- And finally, the chicken is pressure cooked on the trivet for 25 minutes.
First things first, mix the Mustard Crust Ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. The ingredients consist of mustard, garlic, soy sauce, white wine and herbs.
Pour mustard crust mixture over the whole chicken making sure both sides are coated well.
Turn on your Instant Pot to Sauté and set time for 8 minutes. Add the olive oil to your Instant Pot to coat the bottom of pan. When heated, put the spatchcocked chicken in SKIN SIDE DOWN:It should begin to sizzle and brown the skin. Sauté for 7-8 minutes, moving the chicken ¼ turn about half way through to keep it from burning.
Instant Pot Spatchcock Chicken with Mustard Crust
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ lb. chicken
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for coating bottom of pan)
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup unsalted chicken broth warmed
- Mix the Mustard Crust Ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Using kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut along both sides the backbone of the chicken to split it open and remove the backbone. Spread and press on the chicken with your hands to flatten it. Cut along the keel bone enough to separate from the breast. Running your index finger down each side will make it possible to remove the keel bone completely.
- Place chicken in a bowl large enough to rest flat. Salt and pepper both the underside and the skin side of the chicken. Pour crust mixture over the chicken making sure both sides are coated well.
- Turn on your Instant Pot to Sauté and set time for 8 minutes. Add the olive oil to your Instant Pot to coat the bottom of pan. When heated put the chicken in SKIN SIDE DOWN. It should begin to sizzle and brown the skin. Sauté for 7-8 minutes, moving the chicken ¼ turn about half way through to keep it from burning.
- When sauté function turns off remove the chicken to a plate and deglaze the pan with the white wine being sure to scrape all browned bits off the bottom. Add the warm chicken broth.
- Place the chicken SKIN SIDE UP on the trivet and place into the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid ensuring the steam release valve is set to Sealing.
- Pressure cook on high for 25 minutes.
- Allow to Naturally Release pressure for 10 minutes before doing a quick release of the remaining pressure.
- Reserve the pan liquid to use as topping for the chicken or fluffy mashed potatoes.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.