Green beans are available all year around, and I still can’t get enough of them. Cooking green beans with garlic brings out its best, with the flavor more concentrated than it would be if you simply steamed them. In this article I will provide you with the tips on how to cook green beans to perfection on the stove top.
Garlic green beans is the perfect side dish, whether for lunch or dinner. As a bonus, they are simple to throw together while your main dish cooks on the stove.
What perfectly cooked green beans taste like
The perfectly cooked green beans are crisp, tender and flavorful, and you should enjoy eating themhave to employ a quick two-step technique.
How to shop for green beans
You will find two kinds of green beans in the grocery store.
- Pole or bush beans are green beans that grow in the spring and early fall. They are larger and longer in size.
- Haricots verts are a smaller, thinner French variety.
- Avoid buying frozen or canned green beans. This recipe will work for them, but they will be too mushy and soft and definitely more pale in color. Therefore I would encourage you to buy fresh green beans instead.
How to trim green beans
- First things first, rinse the green beans under cool water and shake dry.
- Next trim the stem ends from the beans. Especially if they are tough and withered. You can do this with a knife or scissors.
- Halve any very long beans.
How to cook green beans on the stove top
In the same skillet, add olive oil and melt the butter. Add chopped parsley, garlic, hot sauce, red crushed chili pepper flakes. Add lemon juice and chicken stock and reduce the sauce for a couple of minutes, until slightly thickened.
Now add pre-cooked green beans.
Cook green beans for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until cooked to your liking.
What to serve green beans next to
Lemon Garlic Green Beans
- 1 lb. green beans trimmed (plus 1 cup water)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup parsley fresh, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (or any other hot sauce)
- ¼ teaspoon salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Add 1 ½ cups of water to a large skillet and bring to a boil. Add beans and gently cook, covered, until the beans are slightly tender. This will take about 4-6 minutes. Remove beans from the skillet and drain the water out of it.
- To the same skillet, add olive oil and melt the butter. Add chopped parsley, garlic, hot sauce, red crushed chili pepper flakes, and pre-cooked green beans and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until cooked to your liking. Add lemon juice and chicken stock and reduce the sauce for a couple of minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Serve with your favorite protein!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.