Spaghetti Squash stuffed with Sausage, Tomatoes, Parsley and baked to perfection with Parmesan Cheese on top is a very nutritious and deliciously healthy meal that can be made ahead for the work week!
Health Benefits of Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti squash is an excellent source of anti-inflammatory vitamin A and immune-supportive vitamin C. I highly recommend including this wonderful vegetable into your winter diet.
- 100g of spaghetti squash provides just 31 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol
- This vegetable is one of the food items recommended by dieticians in the cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.
How to cook spaghetti squash
Here’s how you do it. First, cut each spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, then rub insides of it with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Place halves, cut sides down, in a baking dish and bake them at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes.
How to make spaghetti squash stuffing
While spaghetti squash is baking, cook sausage, garlic, spices in the skillet on the stove top with a little bit of olive oil for 10 minutes until sausage is fully cooked.
I used ground sausage patties by breaking them apart with a spoon as they were cooking. Add tomatoes at the very end as they will soften very quickly.
Next, add chopped parsley and mix everything well.
Once squash is baked and cool enough to handle, shred spaghetti squash with a fork, leaving the strands in the shells:
Spoon the filling into squash shells:
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese:
Bake Sausage Stuffed Parmesan Spaghetti Squash in the oven for 20 minutes and you’re done!
If you enjoy eating healthy vegetables as much as we do, please make sure to explore these delicious recipes:
- Easy Chicken and Vegetables Stir Fry
- Brussels sprouts and Bacon Gratin with Gruyere Cheese
- Buttery Mashed Potato Pie with Herb and Garlic Cream Cheese
Sausage Stuffed Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
For squash preparation:
- 2 spaghetti squash (halved lengthwise)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ pound ground sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for cooking sausage
- 2 tomatoes cubed
- 4 green onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (thyme, rosemary, oregano)
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
How to bake spaghetti squash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a large baking sheet, rub insides of spaghetti squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper Place halves, cut sides down, in a baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes.
How to make stuffing
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet, add olive oil, sausage, garlic, parsley and seasoning and cook for about 10 minutes until sausage is fully cooked. Add green onions, tomatoes, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes. When ready, set aside.
How to stuff spaghetti squash
- Once squash is cooked and cool enough to handle, use a fork to carefully rake up pulp to separate it into strands, leaving the strands in the shells. Place squash halves on a baking sheet and spoon the filling into squash shells. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees F until filling is heated through and cheese is melted
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.