Mozzarella Baked Meatballs are so easy to make during busy weeknights. Flavorful Marinara sauce with Mozzarella and juicy meatballs make this easy meatball recipe irresistible! I’m going to show the easiest and simplest method of how to make meatballs.
I’ve always been a huge meatball lover, especially when eating out, but, have you ever baked them yourself in marinara sauce? Please tell me you have, because, they are the most amazing flavor explosion and hard to stop eating. They go perfectly with any pasta dish, such as Pasta Carbonara or Garlic Butter White Wine Pasta. It’s hard to stop eating all these homemade meatballs!
How to make the best meatballs
I’ve been loving and craving this easy meatball dish all week because it’s hearty and filling, and makes the kitchen smell so good!
- Let’s preheat your oven to 400 F. first. While it’s doing that, I like to gather all of my ingredients for the meatballs, and get a large 12 inch skillet ready to go as well. Make sure your skillet is oven proof, as the meatballs will cook there.
- Now dump your ground beef, seasonings, bread crumbs, Parmesan, egg, and milk into a large bowl. Using a tablespoon for measuring, start forming those meatballs. You should get about 18 of them. Now, they are ready to go into the skillet to be browned. They don’t need to be cooked through at this point.
How to bake meatballs
- While the meatballs cook in the skillet, get your Marinara sauce, and Mozzarella cheese. We will need them before the meatballs go into the oven..
- Pour the Marinara sauce (all 2 cups of it) on top of the meatballs, and add Mozzarella cheese on top. I recommend using shredded mozzarella here.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Now, get your baked meatballs out of the oven!
How long do meatballs in sauce last in the fridge
Baked meatballs will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. To further extend the shelf life of cooked meatballs, freeze them. I like to freeze in covered airtight containers or heavy-duty freezer bag. You can also wrap tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil or freezer wrap.
Tips for better meatballs
- I’m a big fan of using flavored bread crumbs for my meatballs. You can find various flavors in your supermarket and choose the one you like the best.
- You will need some milk, but only ¼ cup. We need milk here to add moisture to the meatballs.
- My secret ingredient here is actually a group of ingredients. I’m talking herbs, garlic and onion! I find that using garlic and onion powders are essential in creating a desirable flavor in meatballs. And, of course, when you add Italian seasoning – the perfect recipe is complete!
Can I make them ahead?
You can make these meatballs can be made a day in advance, store them raw in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Or, bake immediately and refrigerate for up to 3 to 4 days before reheating.
Now that you’ve made the most amazing meatballs at the convenience of your own kitchen, it’s time to have some dessert! I really enjoy indulging in this German Peach Kuchen after baking my meatballs. Or, you might like this magnificent No Bake Chocolate Pie.
Mozzarella Baked Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven at 400 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, egg, and milk. Mix together until thoroughly blended.
- Using a tablespoon for measuring and your hands for rolling, start making those meatballs. Form meatballs that are approximately 1 ½ inches in diameter and place the meatballs in a single layer in the pan. I just rolled them between my palms and got 18 average size meatballs.
- On medium high heat in a large oven proof skillet (such as cast iron), brown meatballs on all sides, carefully turning so they don't break apart. Cook them for about 10 minutes. They will not be cooked throughs point and will finish cooking in the oven.
- Next, pour the marinara sauce over the meatballs and sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese over the sauce. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.