These crispy baked Chicken Tenders with Mayo are coated in golden Panko crumbs. And there you have an easy and healthy version of a typically unhealthy meal. After all, crunchy chicken tender recipe can be really-really good, and without all the frying and oil. Perfect family friendly meal in under 30 minutes!
I am a huge fan of chicken tenders and breaded chicken! I’m very excited to be sharing one of my family’s favorite recipes here. These oven baked chicken tenders are packed with flavor and so crispy! If you have a chicken nugget loving family member – they will go crazy for them. My seven year old son eats these mayo chicken nuggets like candy. These succulent and juicy oven fried chicken tenders take 10 minutes of prep work and only 30 minutes of oven time. No deep frying required!
The secret ingredient for crispy baked chicken tenders
The “special ingredient” in these baked breaded tenders is the Panko. Instead of breadcrumbs or just flour I use panko. Panko is generally used in Japanese cooking and it can be found in the grocery store in the Asian foods aisle. I definitely prefer panko to regular breadcrumbs because of its lighter and more delicate texture. It results in a more crispy and crunchy end product than breadcrumbs. Especially when you are baking chicken instead of frying; the panko makes a huge difference!
When I made them, I wasn’t sure if they should be called oven baked chicken nuggets or baked chicken tenders. My son loves calling them golden nuggets, however the adults in my family prefer to call these crumbed chicken. And I feel so much better feeding him this healthier oven baked version vs. fast food deep fried chicken.
Preparing chicken tenders
Prep work is really easy! First dip the chicken strips into mayonnaise. Then dredge them in the seasoned bread crumbs mixture. It includes Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt and Pepper. Mayo is the glue that will hold the crumbs together. And I think it’s the mayo that makes them so addictive! By the way, I use regular mayo in the mixture, but like to eat them dipped into Sriracha mayo.
To start making them, place crumbled chicken nuggets in a single layer on the baking sheet. That’s it! They are ready for the oven.
The resulting crumbed chicken tenders with lovely golden crumb are just fabulous. These can be served fresh, or kept refrigerated for up to 5 days.
How to reheat chicken nuggets
- You can certainly reheat crunchy chicken tenders on the stove top. Add a little oil or butter and cook them on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
- But my recommendation is to bake the tenders either on the parchment paper lined baking sheet or a wire rack, if you have one. Preheat the oven to 325 and bake for 7 yo 10 minutes. Usually 10 minutes in the oven will deliver great taste and crispiness once again!
How to serve chicken nuggets
- Sriracha mayo as a dipping option is a great option for adults that enjoy baked chicken tenders.
- Mix equal parts of ketchup and mayo and use it a dip! This is my personal favorite.
- Honey mustard dressing tastes great with chicken nuggets!
- And of course they are perfectly delicious dipped in traditional ketchup. I also like to sprinkle mine with fresh herbs, like thyme.
Variations to the chicken nugget recipe
- Add sriracha sauce to the mayo to give those nuggets some heat!
- Mix in some Dijon Mustard into the mayo for additional flavor!
What to serve with chicken nuggets
So if you are like me and were looking for a healthier alternative to fried chicken nuggets for your child, these oven baked chicken tenders are the answer. I find that this baked version of chicken nuggets tastes a lot better.
So next time you find yourself craving some chicken tenders in the convenience of your own home, you know what to do.
Oven Baked Chicken Tenders with Mayo
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 ½ cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- ½ tablespoon Garlic Powder
- ½ tablespoon Onion Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Thyme, (optional)
- Sriracha Mayo, (for dipping, optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Cut chicken into 1” strips going with the grain of the meat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare two bowls. In a first bowl, mix Bread Crumbs, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt and Pepper. Place mayonnaise in a 2nd mixing bowl.
- Dredge the cut chicken into mayonnaise, then dredge in seasoned Panko mixture.
- Place coated chicken in a single layer on the parchment paper lined baking sheet, leaving room between each tender.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, turn each piece, bake for 15 more minutes.
- Tenders will be lightly browned and delicious. Sprinkle with thyme (optional) and serve with Sriracha mayo or sauce of your choice!
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. This information comes from online calculators. Although whatsinthepan.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.